how to make water stick

Discussion about fluid simulation in Realflow 3
zildjian

how to make water stick

Postby zildjian » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:38 pm

Hi guys
If you do a simple sim of fluid in a fish tank, and move the tank from side to side, the fluids all remain mostly together, breaking apart when the motion is violent enough

but

You spray a hosepipe inside a room, say up a wall and to the roof. When you turn off the water there would be water dripping off the walls and ceiling, for a short while after the main body of water has fallen to the floor.

How can I get this effect? i.e. the 'sticking' to the surfaces for a few seconds? I tried ramping up the 'sticky' value of my object, but thats not doing the trick

any ideas?

thanks

stevester1

how to make water stick

Postby stevester1 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:51 pm

maybe playing with the surface tension a lil

Tok Tok

how to make water stick

Postby Tok Tok » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:27 pm

you should also turn up the friction of the object you want the water to stick on.

With only stickyness is enabled the fluid cant stick on anything when it has no grip therefore friction is added.

But still it is tricky to let water really stick on a wall, if you really want something you can see you should use a Wetmap.
More is by definition not always better.
You just got to play it smart. :happy:

ChristianZ

how to make water stick

Postby ChristianZ » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:34 pm

It is less easy than it sounds: have liquid impact on a wall, then watch the droplets running down the wall. What often happens is that the liquid runs down the wall, but as a compact fluid which does not disintegrate much into single, viscous droplets. This is currently my best animation after trying many combinations of parameters:

http://www.cardiomyocytes.com/movies/stickytest10sKomp1.mov

RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

dalo

how to make water stick

Postby dalo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:02 pm

i agree with tok tok,
as far as i understand you, i think wet maps are a good solution, rather than sticking the last particles on your surface. propably you would need a lot of particles for that, too.
i have done a test some months ago(its not final at all), which looked like this, although i didnt have water but a toilet cleaning fluid. here it is on my (pretty outdated) website:

http://www.garloff.com/filme/randtest.mov

as you can see: the map dissolves, as if it was sticking the rest of the fluid when it slides down the object.
is that maybe similar to your desired effect? or what did you mean?

Tok Tok

how to make water stick

Postby Tok Tok » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:09 pm

dalo wrote: as you can see: the map dissolves, as if it was sticking the rest of the fluid when it slides down the object.
is that maybe similar to your desired effect? or what did you mean?

sorry for getting back to you this late! i really have to turn that mail thingy on to see if someone reacted to a topic.:mellow:

but anyway, i have tried something with the stickyness and friction of an object.
it is posted on the forum somewhere... (like it's that big:P)

This is the link

what i did with the settings is, turn up the stickyness to about 300 or 400 and the friction
to 0.05. also the surface tension has to be very high, play a bit with the settings.

but ofcourse is fluid a lot thicker then yours and so maybe other setting have to be used.

if the effect is really working you'll see that particles will stick on the places where the fluid has been. you WILL have to use a lot of particles because otherwise you'll get problems with building your mesh.

So in the end using wetmaps is much better, although i do not know how to use them...:glare:

dalo

how to make water stick

Postby dalo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:24 pm

hey tok tok
just stumbled back over that topic.
you mentioned that mail thingie...how can i put it on, since i obviously missed your answer(and the video) totally...
sorry about that...

Tok Tok

how to make water stick

Postby Tok Tok » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:21 pm

Dont know, couldnt find it either.

What i do, there aren't very fast new post here so i check back now and then on the sections i post a lot.

new link, i removed the other one.

New link

ChristianZ

how to make water stick

Postby ChristianZ » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:30 pm

The email option ? That is easy: when you are loged in and writing an answer, there is below a blue bar "Image Upload" and "Options". Klick on the + and this reveals the "subscribe to this topic" checkbox.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

dalo

how to make water stick

Postby dalo » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:23 pm

well thanks, i never saw that one, great...:)
dunno if anybody still cares, but the wet map "thingy" is less complicated than it looks.
you can turn the wet texture on in the objects texture parameters.
then (in rf3) you can go to export central and check the object and see there is the option of saving a tga sequence for wetmap texture. so you only have to import this (animated) sequence and put it as a texture on your object right in your 3d app.
i find that very helpful, it adds a lot to certain simulations.
but your syrup sim is very nice(especially because the sticky particles react to the floor), so i think it depends what you want to achieve(as always, i think).

Return to “RF3: Fluid simulation”