Moster in water

Discussion about fluid simulation in Realflow 4
andrius3d

Moster in water

Postby andrius3d » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Hello. Kind of new to realflow but have been using it for years. Mainly very simple effects like fountains for architectural VR tours. We are on RealFlow 4.

I have a shot of a monster coming out of the water. The shot lasts for no more than 3 seconds and he is standing up from the water. As he is standing water is dripping down him and splashing about near his legs.

What I considered doing is filling a pool with particles, setting that as an initial state and the animating him rising and turning a bit and hoping I get the effect I want. This is a VERY costly way of doing this. Does anybody know of a better way of doing this? Maybe realwave? There was a post asking this question a bit earlier but I was wondering to get a bit more information because of time constraints.

Any suggestions would be HIGHLY appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance.

Andrius
Einstein once said 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

bitSeq

Moster in water

Postby bitSeq » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:34 pm

I would use a realwave and perhaps a realwave splash and emitters hidden under the wave to put particles onto him just before he emerges..

andrius3d

Moster in water

Postby andrius3d » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi again,

So I'm further along in my project and have spent close to a week tweaking the realwave settings, thanks bitSeq!!! I have tried many different settings and not getting close to what I need.

I was hoping someone out there can nudge me in the right direction. My problem is I can't get this looking good and I don't know what else to try.

My model is from 3dsMax 2009. It's a animated Godzilla that takes a step in the water. I need the waves to flow naturally. Right now it's like goo and pops all over. See movie.

http://www.earlyexcel.com/SceneOneWaterTest-06.wmv

My scale is at .1 which I have a feeling you may say is too small but when the scene get's larger is starts bombing.

Here are my settings:

Any help to get this water acting more like real water would be highly appreciated. I figured once I get this looking good I'll start messing with RW_Splash.

Thanks in advance.

Andrius
Einstein once said 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

andrius3d

Moster in water

Postby andrius3d » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:40 am

Could my problem be coming from Godzilla's starting point?????? He is half way through the water before this even starts. Am I "breaking" the realwave by doing that?

Thanks,
Andrius

bitSeq

Moster in water

Postby bitSeq » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:42 am

Wave speed, Strength V & H, Peturbation Res and depth effect are all key to tweaking the realwave, check the help file on these settings.

Once you have a splash emitter in there it will start to hide some of the unwanted poping and stuff, realwave can be a realpain but it saves time.

Really the Grid solver in RF5 would be better for this.

BrianLooney

Moster in water

Postby BrianLooney » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:27 pm

I agree about trying Hybrido. For object interaction, Realwave can be very difficult. You will get a more natural (and easier to manage) simulation using Hybrido. Then, adding the splash and foam will make it look even better.
Brian Looney
Tulsa, Oklahoma

andrius3d

Moster in water

Postby andrius3d » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:06 am

bitSeq wrote: Really the Grid solver in RF5 would be better for this.

I've downloaded the latest RealFlow5 and starting doing some tutorials. It seems like I would need to fill up a domain with water and have my Godzilla walk through it. I could then put a displacement on my water to simulate choppy water detail.

Is this the best way or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Andrius

Return to “RF4: Fluid simulation”