Foam tutorial... step by step for someone new to RF4

Discussion about fluid simulation in Realflow 4
benlink

Postby benlink » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:24 pm

maybe a stupid question....but concerning the emitters....where do they have to be placed...I mean...do they have to be at the same place....or does the foam and liquid 2 must be placed carefully......?

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:56 pm

They can go whereever you want as long as the emitter that emits the first liquid is pouring into your container. The other two you can move out of eye-sight as it's only their "existence" that really matters, they dont actually emit from the circle, they're there just to have a place for other particles removed from other emitters to go.

Shaun

benlink

Postby benlink » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:23 pm

ok thanks...and concerning the meshes...so I'll have to build two meshes?
one with the foam and one with the two liquids?
and if so, is there a setting to change to build the foam mesh?

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:11 pm

Well there are at least three options, maybe more, depending on the look you're after. You may consider the resolution of your foam before deciding which one to use.

You can build one mesh for all three emitters, then mesh the foam separately as very small blobs (a small particle radius) so they appear as bubbles within the foam fluid when you texture them (you could, on top of this decide to add your particles into the mix at render time as voxel too!)

You can build one mesh for all 3 emitters and also take the foam to your 3D app as particles only and render them with your meshes as your flavour of voxels.

You could build one mesh for your two liquid emitters and take your foam over as particles only.

I'm sure there are probably other combinations. Have a think which one suits your aim best.

Shaun

benlink

Postby benlink » Fri May 04, 2007 10:12 am

shaun_michael wrote: Well there are at least three options, maybe more, depending on the look you're after. You may consider the resolution of your foam before deciding which one to use.

You can build one mesh for all three emitters, then mesh the foam separately as very small blobs (a small particle radius) so they appear as bubbles within the foam fluid when you texture them (you could, on top of this decide to add your particles into the mix at render time as voxel too!)

You can build one mesh for all 3 emitters and also take the foam to your 3D app as particles only and render them with your meshes as your flavour of voxels.

You could build one mesh for your two liquid emitters and take your foam over as particles only.

I'm sure there are probably other combinations. Have a think which one suits your aim best.

Shaun

so shaun ....I think a good solution is the second one you said....so one mesh for all three emitters(so including the foam particles) with the water shader right?
and then bring also foam particles into Max as particles and not as a mesh and put a cloud texture or something like that on it....
is what I understood the right thing?

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Fri May 04, 2007 10:24 am

Indeed. You could also build a seperate mesh for the foam alone, and use a really small particle radius so they appear as "single bubbles" and take them over in the mix too.

Shaun

benlink

Postby benlink » Fri May 04, 2007 1:37 pm

I tried to use the melt material....... but it seems that it does not work with mental ray....

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Fri May 04, 2007 1:54 pm

There's a thread around regarding that. Have a look here.

Shaun

benlink

Postby benlink » Fri May 04, 2007 2:13 pm

yes I know......I've read it...but still it does work with scanline renderer but not with mental ray...thus, what I 'm going to do is ,thanks to the melt material, obtain a mask in scanline and then use this mask in a blend materials with mental ray shaders ....

omarpac

Postby omarpac » Sun May 11, 2008 12:45 pm

hello forum,
i have loaded in the script and everythin is workin fine
but my foam doesnt change into liquid 2.....
the whole cup is filling up with foam...where am i goin wrong?
(:helloo all:)

Return to “RF4: Fluid simulation”