Rain Drop - Water splash

Discussion about fluid simulation in Realflow 4
ChristianZ

Rain Drop - Water splash

Postby ChristianZ » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:11 am

The programming language itself is not the problem for this type of projects anyway. The difficult part is the design of a clever algorithm.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

starlighter

Rain Drop - Water splash

Postby starlighter » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:22 am

Hey Vitor, you really don't need to use FillObject as your source of fluid, that was just the way i did it. Stick to the basic (circle, square) emitter, and let them fill some cube. If you won't i can set up the scene for you, and upload it to sendspace, for you to have something to start with. I'll look up for the scene today, and you'll have it by the evening. It will be just a container with 2000000 particles set to initial state. You'll add whatever you want there, objects, and deamons...etc.

About python, one month is enough to start using the language, you'll learn syntax really quick, but you'll need a bit of more time to think of the algorithm as Christian said.

Go on with this simple setting, if you don't get what you want, turn yourself to python. If this is not some commercial project you are workin' on, and if you have time, learn to program by all means.
Keep walking!
web: www.startlightvfx.com
vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/13276781

Vitor Teixeira

Rain Drop - Water splash

Postby Vitor Teixeira » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:17 pm

Could you do that?
I would really mean something if you could send me that starlighter.
Thank you really.
No commercial use. Tis is for my Final Animation, Master Thesis, Project.
You can check my latest tests here: http://www.vimeo.com/vitorteixeira
I'm creating shapes of Fire and Water, a little similar to this challenge we have know.
The project as to be finished in April. So I'll be creating the shapes until February middle of march, until the end of that month i'll work on the renders in Maya an them in april pos production.

Shaun when you say .pdf you mean the user guide right?

orozcoje

Rain Drop - Water splash

Postby orozcoje » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:10 pm

Thats a good idea Orozcoje. But I'm a little newbie here. Could you explain a little better how can I could do that?

Have you seen these examples:
http://fusioncis.com/research/splashes/

Do you think they do it by that way?

Hello vitor, check the pics, so you can get a better idea. but what I tried to say was model the shape that you want your crown in this case, add some daemons to control the particles for this example I used a magic daemon to sculpt the fluid, after that a script to create the drops on the top of the crown shape.

Answering your question about the fusioncis splashes, I'm not sure if they did it in that way but I'm agree with Shaun that they probably used scripting to achieve that type of effect. actually the technique that I'm telling you was an advice from Mark. FusionCIS's splashes and bubbles are been a big inspiration to me.

Shaun: its very inspirational what are you doing about your splash scripting. Actually I want to create a splash maker via scripting but not sure how to start. if is not too much to ask could you give a pseudocode.

Thank you for your help.

orozcoje

Attached files

orozcoje

Rain Drop - Water splash

Postby orozcoje » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:12 pm

Thats a good idea Orozcoje. But I'm a little newbie here. Could you explain a little better how can I could do that?

Have you seen these examples:
http://fusioncis.com/research/splashes/

Do you think they do it by that way?

Hello vitor, check the pics, so you can get a better idea. but what I tried to say was model the shape that you want your crown in this case, add some daemons to control the particles for this example I used a magic daemon to sculpt the fluid, after that a script to create the drops on the top of the crown shape.

Hope this pics are a bit more clear for you.

Answering your question about the fusioncis splashes, I'm not sure if they did it in that way but I'm agree with Shaun that they probably used scripting to achieve that type of effect. actually the technique that I'm telling you was an advice from Mark. FusionCIS's splashes and bubbles are been a big inspiration to me.

Shaun: its very inspirational what are you doing about your splash scripting. Actually I want to create a splash maker via scripting but not sure how to start. if is not too much to ask could you give a pseudocode.

Thank you for your help.

orozcoje

Attached files

Vitor Teixeira

Rain Drop - Water splash

Postby Vitor Teixeira » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:51 pm

This is great.
I'll see what I can do.
I wanted to ask the same to Shaun but I haven't use any scripts yet.

shaun_michael

Rain Drop - Water splash

Postby shaun_michael » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:23 pm

Shaun when you say .pdf you mean the user guide right?

Vitor, it's a pleasure having you here and yes, indeed I do mean read the pdf.

Guys, I love your enthusiasm.

Unlike many 3D programs, or ancillary 3D programs, the Realflow User guide has had some real thought put into it (count up how many times Luke has advised it's reading - he's not blowing hot air you know). Mark (Stasiuk's) guide to scripting is awesome, really, not only because it's an easy read, but mainly because it's contextual. Yes you can read an awful lot about python on the web and hopefully like me you'll learn a lot, but in order for you to get that "taste" of achieving in Realflow you need something to hold your hand through the early relationship :) - and that's what Mark's guide does.

I can't recommend it enough.

Simply search through my posts about Python and you'll see how appalling my knowledge was(is) and I have access to the same resources you have. So, if I can get some small grip on it, I am most definitely sure you guys can. Read the guide, understand the guide, read between the lines and apply the concepts. Ask questions.

Orozcoje, you've been a member here a long time and we all value your input and enthusiasm, so in terms of pseudocode, take a look at non-pseudocode on page 164-168 of the pdf. What Mark's explaining is not only how to add a force in Realflow, but also how to control it in a number of ways. Once you have a concept of what he's talking about, consider how you might apply this and alter the script to suit a repellent force, rather than an attracting force, and what that might imply. I could give you the script I've written, but if you need that script (mostly) you've not read the pdf but most importantly you've not had a think (or two) and you really must.

It's all out there boys and girls, go get it, research it, and modify it.

Shaun

Vitor Teixeira

Rain Drop - Water splash

Postby Vitor Teixeira » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:29 pm

I'm reading it now. It's not easy to understand some concepts but I think I can do it.
For now I'm testing without the script. I'll keep you posted of my advances and of my doubts because I'm very interested in achieve that type of crown effect like you had, for my Final animation project.

Shaun What did you think of the solution of orozcoje?
How can we do something like that?

Vitor Teixeira

Rain Drop - Water splash

Postby Vitor Teixeira » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:10 am

My latest test.
A huge thanks to starlighter.
Still a WIP, but I'm close:

starlighter

Rain Drop - Water splash

Postby starlighter » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:23 am

Vitor Teixeira wrote: My latest test.
A huge thanks to starlighter.
Still a WIP, but I'm close:

Hey, you are welcome Vitor!
That looks great man, i'm really glad that you managed to get close to your goal! You are on the right path. Keep on workin' on that scene, and if you need some more help, just ask, people on this forum are more then ready to help everyone. I can't stress enough how much help i got from everyone on this forum, and it helped me learn a loooot!

About your project, this method requires a bit much of particles, and on contrary there is a scripting method suggested by expirienced RF people. That scripting method alows you to have also great results but with far less particles, so i would really suggest to you to dive into scripting and make it your next goal...to get same, or better result, but done just with scripting.

See this thread, it's more than usefull, but pay attention on the script posted here by ranxerox! http://www.realflowforum.com/view_topic.php?id=613

I'm preparing a post on this subject, won't say too many new things i haven't said before, but it will all be just placed in one thread!
Keep walking!
web: www.startlightvfx.com
vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/13276781

Return to “RF4: Fluid simulation”