splash edge finding script

Show us your Realflow WIPs
Karl Richter

Postby Karl Richter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Here is an example of an edge finding script in action. You could use these extra particles to create a lip on the splash at meshing time, or maybe to emit little edge drops.

http://vimeo.com/38039243

It still is not working perfectly, as you can see from the stray particles in the body of the splash.

bitSeq

Postby bitSeq » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:19 pm

That's really cool Karl, I have always wanted to be able to create that fat edge to my splashes.

How are you finding that edge?

Karl Richter

Postby Karl Richter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:55 pm

I'm filtering the particles with a combination of the normal() function and the getNeighbors() function. Right now the script is very messy, and I'm not even sure my approach is correct. If I get it working well, I'll clean it up and post it...

Otuama

Postby Otuama » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:17 pm

I've been looking into the getNormal() command for a while. It's actually a very interesting one.

I've been testing it for my final BSc tool.

Like the script.
Otuama - Vimeo
'Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.' - Gandhi
'Realism is in the eye of the beholder' - Me ;)

Gregg Glezakos

Re: splash edge finding script

Postby Gregg Glezakos » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Karl Richter wrote:I'm filtering the particles with a combination of the normal() function and the getNeighbors() function. Right now the script is very messy, and I'm not even sure my approach is correct. If I get it working well, I'll clean it up and post it...

Hi there, Karl...
Any chance of sharing this kewl script?
I'm working on a project where this might be useful, as i only need a second particle pass, just on the edge/lip on the top area of the main particle pass.

Thanks...
HP

Edit: Did i mention i know zip about scripting? :oops:

Otuama

Postby Otuama » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Something I don't really understand about this script is how do the outer particles have a different colour?

If the outer particles are switched from emitter1 to emitter2 then the emitter1 will have a new set of outer particles, which would then be switched too until emitter1 had no particles.
Otuama - Vimeo
'Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.' - Gandhi

IoSim

Postby IoSim » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:59 am

Otuama wrote:Something I don't really understand about this script is how do the outer particles have a different colour?

If the outer particles are switched from emitter1 to emitter2 then the emitter1 will have a new set of outer particles, which would then be switched too until emitter1 had no particles.

Hey

Actually when the 2 emitters are linked the emitter1 particles will also "think" they are inside the fluid when the edge consist of emitter2 particles. So this is why it will work. Emitter1 will take into account the emitter2 particles.

-Cheers Ole
Ole Lemming
RealFlow plugin developer
IoSim, Creative Thinking Lab
www.iosim.dk

Otuama

Postby Otuama » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:32 pm

Ole, what I thought would happen with getNormal did happen.

The outer particles are switched from blue to red. Then, on the next frame, blue has a new set of outer particles. Those are transferred and so on and so on.

http://vimeo.com/40735496

Unless I'm misunderstanding something.... which is highly likely.
Otuama - Vimeo

Karl Richter

Postby Karl Richter » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm not actually transferring particles from one emitter to another. I'm using an emitter that is not linked to any other to mark the edge by removing all particles from the marking emitter and replacing them every frame.

Otuama

Postby Otuama » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:07 pm

Ahhh, that's funky.

How's it coming along?
Otuama - Vimeo

Return to “Work in progress”