WIP: Launch Free-Fall Lifeboat from Offshore Platform

Show us your Realflow WIPs
spiffers

Postby spiffers » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:08 pm

Ive encountered another problem. The vessel and wave simulation is perfect, now I want to add particles for the splash when the vessel hits the ocean, and as well some fog and spray from the waves. Realflow likes to die on me when its simulating this together with the object-simulation, so I wonder if its possible to break up the different elements and simulate them one by one. Would appreciate some help...
Fix it in post! ;)

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:39 pm

Sounds like you're making good progress there!

I'm not infront of RF right now (stuck at work!!! )

How have you got the scene set up at present in terms of the RW_splash and RW_particle emitter? What I mean is, what type of particles are you using, how many are you looking to generate, are you using a fractal wave type, what's your hypermesh looking like both in poly numbers, size and grauduation to larger poly sizes as the ocean moves away from your collision object.

The reason I ask is that there may be some optimising you can do which might enable your computer to handle the workload. Things like making sure the poly count isn't too high in the RW mesh where you dont need it, the number of particles you're emitting is high enough for your needs but not too high and that any that won't be seen in shot (either under the water or out of shot completely) are killed off. Your spray and splash particles dont really need to be liquid, you can get away with dumb particles for this too I would imagine.

Another thought that springs to my mind is that you may have difficulty simulating exactly the same wave more than once? Are they fractally generated. I may be completely wrong here (especially if you haven't used a fractal wave generated real wave). I've not tried it, but perhaps this is where the cached part of the "active", "inactive" node options comes in? Can't check right now.

Anyhoo, first things first, optimise your scene as much as you possibly can.

I'll have a further think.

Shaun

spiffers

Postby spiffers » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:25 pm

The computers used to simulate the scene are 3 x dual core dual cpu Opteron 275 with 4 GB RAM. The computingpower should be ok for this kind of task.
The RealWave is a fractal wave type.

The RealWave node

The fractal node

The splash node

Also a link to a complete screenshot of the project

Im unsure about the poly-numbers. I tried to kill the particles by setting a depth treshold, but it doesn't work...
I can upload the project-file if needed...
Fix it in post! ;)

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:06 pm

Not ignoring you my friend, just very busy this weekend. Only enough time to quickly post a thought. Have you tried it without running the mesh node (I assume this is a rw mesh?) and have you tried it without using liquid particles for your splashes? Try it with dumb particles, and render them as sprites in your 3D app (nice white spray with a low density setting).

Happy birthday by the way!

Cheers,
Shaun
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, just rushing out to the mother in law's birthday - help!

:o

spiffers

Postby spiffers » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:51 am

Thanks for your feedback!
I did what you suggested, and started the simulation yesterday, but due to our power-company, the simulation got f*cked, and I had to resimulate it now. I hope it works out fine :)
And thanks for the warm welcome to the forum! This forum is so much better compared to the official forum. Tnx all!
Fix it in post! ;)

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:34 am

Fingers crossed. Hope the power company get their act together for you.

Shaun

spiffers

Postby spiffers » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:50 pm

Well, it was a lesson learned. The whole renderpark went down, refusing to go back online, so a couple of jobs with deadline tomorrow are not finished. So now we are looking for an UPS solution with a diesel generator. The powersupply has been stable until last month, then we had three shutdowns within 4 hours, so two of our raid-sets did f*ck up and was a total-loss. Then we implemented some better backup-routines, so no critical work besides all WIP did survive the crash yesterday. But this cant happen again...
Fix it in post! ;)

Ls3D

Postby Ls3D » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:50 pm

You are aware of the scanning option in export central to recover partial simulations?

Also when are we going to see a new movie? Unfinished is fine - just WIP.

-Shea
Go Outside!
http://3d.shea-design.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/SheaDesign
http://www.facebook.com/sheadesign

spiffers

Postby spiffers » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:59 pm

Thanks for the tip, Ls3D! Another movie is coming soon. Im having a problem with my host, so files larger than 2 mb wont upload. It goes into an infinitive loop :/
As soon as I resolve that problem, a movie from the latest simulation will be posted :)
Fix it in post! ;)

Return to “Work in progress”