Project - (injection) needle.

Show us your Realflow WIPs
Quickliverus

Postby Quickliverus » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:12 am

Hello,

I thought it would be cool to simulate an injection needle correctly. So I did some work on that.

Maybe this is something that others are also interested in. We could make it an opensource project - including settings that work best for several simulations.

Several things can be done with a needle:

1. one can push the liquid out in the air.
2. one can pull liquid into the needle.
3. one can push the liquid into another liquid. I'd very much like to try/see this! As the next one...
4. one can inject into a vein. Now, this should be a reversed affect: as you see in the movies, the blood colours the liquid in a very short time. How to model this?

An advantage of a needle is of course that it should be physically correct, and more intuitive than something like a circular emitter. It provides for a very steady (thin) flow of particles.

I did a small test on the first of these three: see for yourself.

So i got the pusher to work. Some things encountered:

- the liquid has to relaxe before starting. This is easy.

- the liquid tends to go through the pusher object at the end. because of the high pressure. Probably this effect can be countered by making the pusher dynamical and by adding a push force, to make everything go more natural (would be good practice anyway). Will this also help at pushing at high speeds? Tell me what you think.
In 3dsMax8 I make the pusher a child of the shell. I.o.w, I can animate the movement alright in max. But to model it in RF, how does that work? I know there are constraints in RF, but is there no way to inherit those of Max? I can imagine inconsistincies otherwise.

- small problem when making the mesh: The needle (in newer sims) is very thin. The result is that the mesh soon becomes bigger than the width of the needle, while the mesh setting are correct for the rest of the scene. How should one handle this? The added actual needle is the next step.

Ok, much in here. Many questions to. Hope to hear from you lot :)
> I'm the man!
< ... ? What man?
> Well, the man.
< Oh, that man. p.s. I'm a hobbyist

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:09 pm

Hi !

I like that project, some time ago I thought about a vapor-driven engine in a similar way.
What should be considered with the syringe is the fact, that you can never suck something inside in RealFlow, because there is no vacuum. But an attractor can be placed inside the syringe and so the liquid is "sucked" in by this force, not really physically correct but working. The pushing phase is working nicely as you have already demonstrated in the movie.
Concerning the thin needle: there is probably no other way than increasing scene dimensions, if higher resolution of the emitter and mesh parameters don't help anymore.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

Quickliverus

Postby Quickliverus » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:12 pm

But can't a part of the mesh be not-rendered ? That would be an option if possible. Ah, there are still many things here that need thinking about, as I posted above.
> I'm the man!
< ... ? What man?
> Well, the man.
< Oh, that man. p.s. I'm a hobbyist

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:13 am

Just out of interest, how effective is the clipping by object option for meshes that outsize the object they're contained in?

Shaun

Ls3D

Postby Ls3D » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:28 pm

Mesh Clipping, well quite effective but CPU intensive to build IMO.

-Shea :walkman:
Go Outside!
http://3d.shea-design.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/SheaDesign
http://www.facebook.com/sheadesign

Return to “Work in progress”