BrandonY's Flooding Challenge Thread.

Realflow Competition
brandony

Postby brandony » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:49 am

i was actually already working on something like this before i found the new forum, i guess i will enter. here are 2 test shots.

Test 1
Test 2

Collision Script test 11.1.06

Final " for now" 2 mb 12.10.06

composite network 12.10.06

i might noodle this more but i had a tighter deadline than december to finish this.. im sure there will be better entries.
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

katisss

Postby katisss » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:37 am

great, so you are ahead of the field. What 3d package are you working with?
http://www.lo-motion.de

Ls3D

Postby Ls3D » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:30 pm

i really don't like the second test.. im currently working on a 3rd.. mesh and spray.

Yeah, the 2nd one fills the hall too quickly, first one looks awesome. How is it you ended up in a blue styrofoam storm in a highly static charged hallway? The leading stray particles that sick.. just a preview, but interesting behaviors.

It almost looks like another particle system? Not RF. Perhaps you drove another particle system with a RF solution?

-Shea :walkman:
Go Outside!
http://3d.shea-design.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/SheaDesign
http://www.facebook.com/sheadesign

brandony

Postby brandony » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:17 pm

yeah the lead partilces stick because of the friciton on the floor. i acutally added a speed daemon to catch those little boogers. :) oh im working with max. i wanted to do this in houdini.. but nextlimit doesnt actaully make the plugin for RF, some programmer at SideFX does. I am waiting to see if he will release it soon. until then i am working 3dsmax.
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

stevester1

Postby stevester1 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:24 am

brandony wrote: yeah the lead partilces stick because of the friciton on the floor. i acutally added a speed daemon to catch those little boogers. :) oh im working with max. i wanted to do this in houdini.. but nextlimit doesnt actaully make the plugin for RF, some programmer at SideFX does. I am waiting to see if he will release it soon. until then i am working 3dsmax.

Great work dude:

1- http://www.digitalcinemaarts.com/dev/real_flow/ - thats the houdini link, I hope it helps you out, I know I love working with my apprentice version, can't afford the 25 000 $ yet lol

2- Did you only export the particles than in max you assigned shapes to the particles? If not, would you mind explaining, if you dont mind dude, thanks in advance.

brandony

Postby brandony » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:27 am

thanks for the link, but i have RF4 and H8.1:( it's an apprentince version as well. :) i talked to the programmer he said he would try to have something for 8.1 and R4, but this is the last time he is doing the upgrade, and i think he will give the source out to anyone who wants to up keep the plugin.

i just imported into max made them cubes and made the rotation the same as the velocity nothing special :)

and another update just straight up renders no render passes i.e shadows, reflections.. etc. i wanted to comp this up to give me more of idea of where and wehn i need to debris, extra lighting, reflection, and shadows.

HERE
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

brandony

Postby brandony » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:32 am

Check the Top for new updates
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

brandony

Postby brandony » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:41 pm

update check top.
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:49 pm

Thats looking really nice Brandon. I like the way having the chairs help tie the fluid into the room - are the chairs all RF dynamics, or did you do then elsewhere? I only ask because the one left of frame seems to move before the water reaches it. The other two get a right battering :)

Nice lighting, nice texturing (although a bit of dirt probably wouldn't go amiss)

You call it a "final for now" so I'll save any more comments I might have for another time.

How did the scripting for the spray go in the end. Did it all work out how you'd hoped. With hindsight, is there anything you'd change?

I'd love to see a version with just the mesh, without the spray.

how did RF stand up to your demands. What were its deficiencies in your opinion? So many questions.

Nice work Brandon.
Shaun

brandony

Postby brandony » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:22 pm

well to answer some of your questions, this was acutally put in a picture.. so the actually hallyway geo is not seen.
the physics were done in RF, but i found the movement to be a little balh so i took key points and animated by hand the rest..

the scripting worked well. i think the biggest challenge of this for me was rendering it. I figured that it would be the sim and maybe the compositing.. i should post my comp tree it pretty big for this little scene. I wanted to render all these cool spray particles.. but didnt have enough memory, nor time too.. alot of the spray is actually test spray that i did before.

what i would do differently... give my self more time to render out.. redo the mesh, it's not that great.. and not high enough res.
instead of a nice clean hallway i would have like to do something with more bumps and crannies.. to give the fluid a more bouncy feel.

all in all i like realflow.. sure it could be faster blah blah. it worked great and i would def use it again. It handle my crazy dedline for school, and if in an actual studio it would have been a godsend to use.

have to say that super high end fluid FX are realllly hard to make by yourself when your just still a student and only have a couple computers to render on. thanks for the comments.. oh and when i say student.. i mean college. :)

thanks again for checking it out.. and your comments

-Brandon
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

Return to “Challenge 2006”