Logging torque and rotation

Discussion about scripting with Python
Acmewidgets

Logging torque and rotation

Postby Acmewidgets » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:56 am

Hi,

I have access to Realflow 13 although I'm noob at it. My objective is to be able to measure the power generated by a mechanical device when acted upon by water. Ie, to simulate the performance of a water-driven device so that design variations can be compared to establish which variant produces the most power. For example, which design of water wheel is the most efficient?

To achieve this I anticipate having the water-driven device turning a shaft against a set resistance, and measuring both the torque and rotation to produce real-world figures. By running simulations with different levels of resistance, eventually the device will stall. So by comparing the output torque and rotation from several different simulations I can determine the maximum power it can produce.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how I might achieve recording the torque and rotation in a log file I can read afterwards? I'm guessing that I will need a python script of some kind to pick out values for each frame of simulation, but not sure how to go about it.

Any help much appreciated.

Mike

Return to “Python-Scripting”