Rendering mist in 3dsmax with mental ray

Discussions about the use of Realflow's Renderkit
lemenhatt

Rendering mist in 3dsmax with mental ray

Postby lemenhatt » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi!

I'm trying to render some mist with mental ray. It's showing up fine in RealFlow, but after I import the .f3d-files with the cloud object in max, it's acting very strange. The bounding box doesn't update with the timeline, and seems to be following the wrong axis setup (the mesh and particles load fine). The mist isn't rendering properly either. There's mist in nearly all the frames in RealFlow, but it doesn't show up until towards the end in max, and regardless of how I try to reorient it manually, it doesn't show the same way as the preview in RealFlow. The bounding box also seems to be cutting off the mist in some places. I've tried adjusting most of the settings in the material editor one at a time, and apart from density scale and light intensity, the others don't seem to affect the mist at all.

I looked around on the forum, and couldn't find anything other than updating to the last version of RFRK, which I've done. If someone has any idea what's going on here, I'd really appreciate the help! I'll try to get some screenshots up tomorrow if this isn't clear. Using 3dsmax 2012, RealFlow 2013 w/ RFRK 3.

lemenhatt

Re: Rendering mist in 3dsmax with mental ray

Postby lemenhatt » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Okay, I've attached an image of what's happening. Would love some help on this :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

s525

Postby s525 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:17 am

Hi,

I've experienced the same thing a few months ago. It really doesn't show up in viewport only on the render. There shouldn't be any problem with the orientation. It has a lot to do
with its cloud shader. Try lowering its percentage, so you can see it clearly. I actually switched to using fumefx for mist because I have much control over its look and shading (and it's quicker).
I just made the realflow bin mesh as a fumefx-source and the fog/mist/smoke goes automatically with the fluid's movement. If you're interested with the workflow, let me know.

vance3d

Postby vance3d » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:56 pm

I'd be interested in that work flow. have you ever tried loading realflow generated f3d sequence directly into fume fx?

thanks,

V Miller

Return to “RealFlow Renderkit”