RFRK 2015 not working Maya 2014

Discussions about the use of Realflow's Renderkit
joelnberg

RFRK 2015 not working Maya 2014

Postby joelnberg » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:19 pm

We upgraded to Realflow 2015, and i've been struggling for this for ages now and cannot get the RFRK with Maya 2014 working!

Maya 2014 SP4, and RFRK 2015 and RFRK 2014. Mental Ray and Arnold, nothing works.

I have tried everything. The particles show in the viewport but cant seem to mesh or render. My scene scale in realflow was 0.02 could that have anything to do with it? I have tried all sorts of big and small values of polygon size to adjust to the scale in my Maya scene but nothing... A license issue? I just ran the regular RFRK installation, do I need to do something with the license for the renderkit?

findgus

Re: RFRK 2015 not working Maya 2014

Postby findgus » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:04 am

Hi joelnberg,

Have you tried exporting the xml file from RealFlow and using that in RFRK? That would be the simplest way to avoid confusion when dealing with different scales, since, in theory, the RFConnect(RFRK side of things) would automatically set the radius and polygon size in the mesher node for you.
Another way could simply be using a normal meshing node inside RF and writing down those values(polygon size and radius) and making sure you use those in Maya when trying to mesh at render time. In this case, and since you have a scale scene value modified, I would recommend to use the automatic polygon size to start fine tuning the mesh inside RF.

I hope this helps.

g-)
RealFlow Product Manager
www.realflow.com
www.nextlimit.com

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:22 pm

regarding licensing: The process is now much easier with the combined package of connectivity plugin and renderkit in the same installer. Try re-install with the latest one.
This works for me using Maya2016, RF2015 standard, OSX10.11
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

findgus

Postby findgus » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:26 pm

findgus wrote:Hi joelnberg,

Have you tried exporting the xml file from RealFlow and using that in RFRK? That would be the simplest way to avoid confusion when dealing with different scales, since, in theory, the RFConnect(RFRK side of things) would automatically set the radius and polygon size in the mesher node for you.
Another way could simply be using a normal meshing node inside RF and writing down those values(polygon size and radius) and making sure you use those in Maya when trying to mesh at render time. In this case, and since you have a scale scene value modified, I would recommend to use the automatic polygon size to start fine tuning the mesh inside RF.

I hope this helps.

g-)

Actually, I just tried and there were quite a few issues with doing it how I suggest, all down to the fact that the scene scale is used in RealFlow, so ...ideally, try to export the geometry scaled down so you don´t need to use the scene scale in RealFlow. This is the only way you can use the same meshing values when back in Maya. Otherwise, not even with the xml option you will get the same results than if you were meshing inside RF since the particles don´t carry scene scale info, and your poly size values would be an overkill for the render.
I hope it makes sense, and apologies for the confusion.

Forgot to mention that there is no license involved in RFConnect. It is a free connectivity/render plugin.

g-)
RealFlow Product Manager
www.realflow.com
www.nextlimit.com

joelnberg

Postby joelnberg » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:00 am

It seems it is only working in MR now. Due to the scene scale I finally found proper mesh size and it renders with MR but not Arnold now. Although It will not make a mesh in the viewport whatsoever, it doesnt even calculate anything no matter what values I put in... the rfrk5HybridoMesh does work in the viewport but not the VDBMesh.

Either way I cannot get Arnold to work, funny thing is one of the dozens of time I started fresh, I did get an Arnold to render once, however haven't been able to get it to work again. I've done a fresh install of all REalflow plugins and still seems so buggy, am I doing something wrong??!

Also a last resort is to render out of Maxwell which looks great from the start. But I CANNOT get textures imported into Realflow! It seems very straight forward? My objects have all textures linked in the display panel but cannot view them in realflow or Maxwell, Ive tried SD and ABC files but nothing, and of course the Uv's are fine. What am I doing wrong here! Blocked at every corner...

Thanks for the help.

findgus

Postby findgus » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:49 pm

joelnberg wrote:It seems it is only working in MR now. Due to the scene scale I finally found proper mesh size and it renders with MR but not Arnold now. Although It will not make a mesh in the viewport whatsoever, it doesnt even calculate anything no matter what values I put in... the rfrk5HybridoMesh does work in the viewport but not the VDBMesh.

Either way I cannot get Arnold to work, funny thing is one of the dozens of time I started fresh, I did get an Arnold to render once, however haven't been able to get it to work again. I've done a fresh install of all REalflow plugins and still seems so buggy, am I doing something wrong??!

Also a last resort is to render out of Maxwell which looks great from the start. But I CANNOT get textures imported into Realflow! It seems very straight forward? My objects have all textures linked in the display panel but cannot view them in realflow or Maxwell, Ive tried SD and ABC files but nothing, and of course the Uv's are fine. What am I doing wrong here! Blocked at every corner...

Thanks for the help.

Hi Joelnberg,

I am sorry you have so many issues with this. We have an update coming shortly for the RFConnect plugin as well as the RF2015 patch#1.
Did you try scaling down and simulating in RF with the default scene scale by any chance?

Regarding Maxwell and textures, the way of getting them in RealFlow is by loading your own materials coming from the 3D platform. Is that what you are doing?

cheers,

g-)
RealFlow Product Manager
www.realflow.com
www.nextlimit.com

joelnberg

Postby joelnberg » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:33 pm

I will try a scene with a suitable realflow scale. I always scale my scene to accommodate scale 1 in Realflow, however this time I relied on the Realflow global scale parameters. Ill test this shortly.

The Textures however do not work at all. It looks like it will only load the texture and you sill see it in the viewport if the texture is in the Realflow/images folder. But will not render whatsoever. Even a default sphere with the "griduv" texture will not render.

joelnberg

Postby joelnberg » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:15 pm

Nope still does not work with Arnold.

It looks like at a regular scene scale out of Realflow obviously helps. Although the VDBHybridoMesh is insanely delicate for the values. Even a .01 difference with the wrong radius size will render black. I started with default values and see the mesh, however the values are so delicate it seems useless to try to find the right values with a different scene scale. Is an auto mesh option coming? I still cannot see it in the viewport though.

I've exported the XML from realflow and the auto mesh size does not give me its final values, it says "Auto mesh/polygone size" = true and "0.05". It just gives the default 0.05, 0.05 which you see greyed out in realflow when you check these on. I even tried these values in Maya and it renders black. The default values do work but how can we expect to use a different scene scale without spending hours to try to find the right size.

This is extremely frustrating as our Arnold doesn't work either. And the last resort to render out of Maxwell doesn't render our textures. Im not sure it if its worth it at this point. I surely hope there is more support and fixes in the next patch.

Return to “RealFlow Renderkit”