SD import houdini

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Houdini
vectorhead

SD import houdini

Postby vectorhead » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:35 am

Hello all,

I am currently learning houdini 10.0.465 apprentice version. And I am having problems importing SD´s It crashes on every load, even with a simple sphere. I have the newest RF plugin installed also. I have tryed to import it 2 ways: one via sd import sop and also via geo sop and both crash.

I think maybe the mesh is exploding.

Was wondering if any one eles has had this problem.

Many Thanks!

hp

SD import houdini

Postby hp » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:21 am

Hi vectorhead,

have you exported the sd with Realflow or an other tool? Could you send me the sd file to analyze the problem?

Thanks,
Peter

vectorhead

SD import houdini

Postby vectorhead » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:33 am

Hey HP!

My file is a spider that is pretty big to transfer, but for testing purposes I tried CeeGees dancing girl also, found here:

http://www.realflowforum.com/view_topic.php?id=5577

post number 3

This also explodeds.

I didn't bring my spider into realflow Just exported it from maya as an sd and imported to houdini as an sd.

The spider has deformation so I am guessing this is the problem.

hp

SD import houdini

Postby hp » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Hi,

Houdini doesn't crash on my 32bit xp but the girl's displayed as a mummy : )). The houdini plug-in uses the header and frame chunk size which is stored in the sd file for positioning and as I see the frame chunk size was written wrong, that's why the plug-in reads the vertices wrong.
The LW plug-in (and also RealFlow) works in a different way. It doesn't use the stored chunk size but calculates the frame positions from the number of vertices on-the-fly. That's why the sd is imported well in LW. I tried to export the SD from LW and import it in Houdini but the SOP gave an error again, so maybe my LW plug-in writes the frame chunk size wrong too : ). I have to take a look at it.

I'll be back if I've got some news,
Peter

hp

SD import houdini

Postby hp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:32 am

Hi!

Sorry for late answer, but I was a little bit busy. I've tested the sd file and it seems there is a problem in the Houdini plug-in with handle the frame chunk size when the sd file contains camera. Without a camera the sd importer reads the object well.
I forwarded this bug to the developer of the plug-in and hopefully it will be fixed next week.

Peter

vectorhead

SD import houdini

Postby vectorhead » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks Peter!

I have also found a problem with the rf particle exporter, it seems as though it only wants to export a single .bin file from houdini. However, I am using 10.0.465 houdini apprentice build so I may not have all the features.

hp

SD import houdini

Postby hp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi,

I don't have the particle exporter node on my laptop here but it sounds like you don't use the $F expression in the bin file path. I don't remember exactly how the exporter works, but you have to use this in the importer, and I think the exporter is the same.
So for example if you want to export a sequence to files c:pathtest00001.bin, etc. then you have to give the following path in the exporter:
c:pathtest$F5.bin
where $F is the frame number and 5 tells the size in characters (padding).

Hope I remember well,
Peter

vectorhead

SD import houdini

Postby vectorhead » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks again peter!

Just found out about the $F4 today and it works now, not sure why thats not in the RF plug-in docs. but Pretty blown away.)

hp

SD import houdini

Postby hp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi,

the sd bug is fixed. If you send me your e-mail address (in pm) I will send you the plug-in to test. The bugfix will take part in the next official release.

Peter

shaun_michael

SD import houdini

Postby shaun_michael » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:31 pm

Nicely done Peter. I'm also just getting started with Houdini, so perhaps you could send it to me too? I believe you have my address already :)

Shaun

Return to “Houdini”