noob script question

Discussions about the use of Realflow 2012
jumax

noob script question

Postby jumax » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Hi.

I am just getting back to using realflow and I am bit confused about using scripts, in the simulation events window there are a few places to put a script how do I figure out which one is the right one. for example I have a script that send particles from emitter one to a container when it collides with a sphere that seems to work in both stepspre and stepspost.

Thanks

tsn

Re: noob script question

Postby tsn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Unfortunately, there's no global rule for that question, but in most (or better: many) cases, the "Pre" sections are a good place for your scripts. There are a few exceptions where you have to place the script to the "Pre" or "Post" branch of the events tree, but as said, it's not easy to answer this in a common way. The place where you add the script influences the simulation and you will get slightly different results. But, in general, most scripts work in both sections, so it's your own decision where you add it. As long as it works and you're satisfied with the results it doesn't make too much difference where you finally execute a script.

The only difference is between "Steps" and "Frames": Under "Steps", the script might be executed very often during a single frame - the number of cycles depends on your MIN/MAX substeps. Of course, you'll get very accurate results, but the simulation will be super slow. So, just try if you get good results under "FramesPre/Post" before you add something to the "Steps" section. Your simulation will be much faster.

Hope that helps ;)

jumax

Re: noob script question

Postby jumax » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:49 am

Thanks it helps.

Return to “Realflow 2012”