single layer of particles

Discussions about the use of Realflow 2012
jumax

single layer of particles

Postby jumax » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi,

I am trying to simulate the surface level of an cell and I would like to have a single layer of realflow particles. Whats the best technique to do this. I have tried saving out a single layer from PFLOW and loading it in. but I am having issues with it as it starts falling as soon as I release it. Is my best option to just fill in a tray and let it settle?

Thanks

Oldcode

Re: single layer of particles

Postby Oldcode » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:40 pm

There's a couple of different ways to achive this. There's a script I have that might do the job. Can you show us a picture of what you are trying to do? That would help in determining the best way.
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

jumax

Postby jumax » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi ,

What I am trying to to is show this process where the surface of the cell is pushed down creates this ball which splits from the surface and goes down into the cell. The image should make it clear. Basically the sphere comes down and pushes the surface down and the particles stick to it and go down with it and the particles drift in and seal the hole it has created.

I only need a single layer because the particles will be instanced by geometry shapes later.

I am trying out different approaches to create this effect. I thought it might be possible with RF.
Attachments
cell_split.jpg
cell_split.jpg (143.4 KiB) Viewed 1715 times

Oldcode

Postby Oldcode » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:59 pm

It might be possible. I've never tried anything like this but my first thought is you'll need two emitters.

Emitter #1 will create a layer of particles that will be your cell wall.

Use a Filter Daemon to transfer the particles from Emitter 1 to a Container Emitter.

The Container emitter will have a relationship with the "ball" objects that are penetrating the cell wall. Make the ball surface Sticky, with Particle Friction and Roughness set so the fluid particles will stick the surface of the ball. Also consider using an Attractor Daemon.

Set the filter daemon properties so the particles transfer from the first emitter to the container emitter as the ball makes contract with the particles.

This is only a starting point. You’ll have to work out the details yourself. I don’t know if this approach will work or not.

Good Luck,

jumax

Postby jumax » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks for taking the time, I was think of something along those lines but I got stuck at setting up a single layer of particles to start with as I need them to be mostly calm till the sphere hits.

Oldcode

Postby Oldcode » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:32 pm

User the Drag Force daemon and the Timeline Lock to let the particles settle. Waiting for that is always a pain. :(

Return to “Realflow 2012”