Workflow suggestions - The Dissolving Pill

Discussions about the use of Realflow 2012
stascrash

Workflow suggestions - The Dissolving Pill

Postby stascrash » Mon May 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Hello Guys,

I started working on a personal project where i wanted to learn and experiment. The project that i have assigned to myself is to create a simulation in which the pill(tablet) is dissolving in the glass of water.

Please see this Youtube video to get a clear idea of what i am after:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBiCdm-zcd4

What i currently have, is a glass with water, and a geometry (cylinder), scaled to represent the pill. Using events, i trigger the scale to substract so many unites each sub-step, which should simulate the pill disappearing, i also added object emitter, to emit particles from the surface of the pill.

there are few problems that i am running into, and i will post the video shortly tonight,
Problems:
1. Pill geometry penetrating through the glass ( i tried increasing substeps, for Rigid bodies setup) no luck
2. Emitter particles from the pill don't interact with the water in the glass properly, they seem odd and don't behave.

--------

Overall, as i progress with this RnD, i would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions to help me understand the process of creating such effect.

Thanks!

Oldcode

Re: Workflow suggestions - The Dissolving Pill

Postby Oldcode » Mon May 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi,

I'm at work so I can't see your movie, but it sounds like a "Melt" script would be a good place to start. Do a Google search on Real Flow melt scripts. The one below is one of many out there, most are free.

http://resources.realflow.com/search.php#page=1&mode=0&search=melt&category=&tipo=

Using a fill object on your cylinder, maybe make the particle type Gas instead of Fluid and have little or no gravity in the shot. Put a plane at the surface of the water so the particles don't float outside the glass top.

Have the glass filled with a liquid (water) and the cylinder's particles will float around and mix wtih the water particles.

Hope this helps. Good luck,
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

stascrash

Postby stascrash » Mon May 06, 2013 7:44 pm

@Oldcode:
Thanks! I haven't thought about the use of GAS type emitter. I did a little test at work, basically using a fill emitter set to gas and filled my cylinder, releasing the particles without a melt-script already shows the process i had in mind.
As for the melt scripts - i have had experiments with those, but in my case, the pill must be dissolving from out-side to inside, i assume that i can modify the script or make my own to perform that?

what would you guys suggest i should do to get the bounciness of the pill? as bubles come-out of it, it should bounce around the bottom of the glass, if my particles that make the pill are frozen, how would i move them as a group around?

Oldcode

Postby Oldcode » Mon May 06, 2013 10:26 pm

Most melt scrips I've seen melt from the outside in.

Not sure about the bouncing tablet. I think, if you pre animate the tablet to do the bouncing like movement you want, then use the fill object with the melt script, that might do it.

As the melt script runs, it transfers particles from your Fill Object emitter, to another emitter that has different properties. This emitter would not be set to have its particles interact with the model of the tablet, but only with the model of the glass and the water particles: Using Elusive Links.

Just a guess. I don't know if it will work.

Good luck,
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

stascrash

Postby stascrash » Tue May 07, 2013 2:51 pm

I thought about using the ELASTIC type for the FILL-OBJECT emitter that will be filling the cylinder(pill), i was able to get some success with testing in a simple scene.
What i did was :
1. Filled object
2. applied basic forces(gravity)
3. problem: When i let the pill object drop into the Vase (filled with Emitter-2(fill-object)), my pill does not bounce around the water, it simple goes straight to the bottom, it affects the water in the glass, but does not bounce around,
i tried playing with gravity and density of the pill(elastics) emitter, no luck.

Does anyone has suggestions on working with elastic based particles and their integration with other types of fluids?

Return to “Realflow 2012”