Setting Start State

Discussions about the use of Realflow 5
MrFluid

Setting Start State

Postby MrFluid » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Is there a way to get your particles to hold a desired position to start the simulation from?

Otuama

Re: Setting Start State

Postby Otuama » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:59 pm

Set an initial state. Read the documentation. There's also a lot of Rf tutorials. The list of 2013 tutorials is also growing quickly.
Otuama - Vimeo
'Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.' - Gandhi
'Realism is in the eye of the beholder' - Me ;)

Oldcode

Postby Oldcode » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:00 pm

If I understand your question, yes.

In the lower left hand corner on the screen, near the beginning of the time line, there is a button that has a lock symbol on it. By clicking this button, you’ll lock the time line during the simulation. This will let the particles move until they get to a point you want them, but not advance the timeline. It will stay on the frame that you started on.

For example, if you want to start a shot with a container full of fluid, you’ve got to fill the container first. Put an emitter in the container, lock the timeline, and then let the simulation run until the container is as full as you want it.

Then, go to your particle emitter properties. Look for Initial State. Set the “Use initial state” option to yes. You’ll also see a “Make Initial State” button. If you click that, it will create a cached file of the particles from that emitter and save it to the hard drive.

On the Reset simulation button, there is an arrow on the right side. Click that arrow and you’ll see some options. One option will be, “Reset to Initial State”. Make sure that option is checked. The next time you hit “Reset” it will make the first frame of the simulation from the cached particles and you can start your simulation from there.

Hope that helps. Good luck,
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

MrFluid

Postby MrFluid » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Oldcode wrote:If I understand your question, yes.

In the lower left hand corner on the screen, near the beginning of the time line, there is a button that has a lock symbol on it. By clicking this button, you’ll lock the time line during the simulation. This will let the particles move until they get to a point you want them, but not advance the timeline. It will stay on the frame that you started on.

For example, if you want to start a shot with a container full of fluid, you’ve got to fill the container first. Put an emitter in the container, lock the timeline, and then let the simulation run until the container is as full as you want it.

Then, go to your particle emitter properties. Look for Initial State. Set the “Use initial state” option to yes. You’ll also see a “Make Initial State” button. If you click that, it will create a cached file of the particles from that emitter and save it to the hard drive.

On the Reset simulation button, there is an arrow on the right side. Click that arrow and you’ll see some options. One option will be, “Reset to Initial State”. Make sure that option is checked. The next time you hit “Reset” it will make the first frame of the simulation from the cached particles and you can start your simulation from there.

Hope that helps. Good luck,

Fantastic! Thank you very much, sir!

Return to “Realflow 5”