Reaflow Particle import Data access

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Lightwave
Jim_M

Reaflow Particle import Data access

Postby Jim_M » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:54 am

Hi all,

In LW I am getting the error "could not find attached RFparticle system ..."

Obviously when I import as partigons, i can surface partigons with all of the properties and there is no error. But I want to use the velocity/ pressure / Force data passed to the instancing system. This would be so useful if the data types were opened to other node editors and didnt throw errors.

Also It would be good if we could have a nodal bin loader rather than the current displacement list loader, then we could do orders of displacement operation.

I wonder who writes the LW plug? This could so easily be amazing with a couple of 'little' changes. (little... from an accessability perspective)

Any help appreciated.

Jim

Oldcode

Re: Reaflow Particle import Data access

Postby Oldcode » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:26 pm

What exactly are you trying to do?

Also, since you referred to instancing, make sure you have the latest version of the Real Flow Lightwave plugin. They just released a new version 1.4.0 for use with LW 11.5.
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

Jim_M

Postby Jim_M » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks for the reply,
I am trying to access the pressure, force etc so i can drive instance size etc.. mograph stuff.
I have found a way to do it in a limited fashion using particle scan from DP, but the dynamic forces attributes get lost in the pfx save.

I may have found another method but it looks unreliable + labour intensive.

I will check out the new plug, so thanks for that!

Jim_M

Postby Jim_M » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Yes still no luck.

The RF particle surfacing node is purely to surface partigons, which is not that useful imo.
I want to drive scale, stretch, rotations etc.

Any thoughts on that?

thanks,
Jim

[EDIT] I will put a request in for some changes to the plugin. But in the mean time I have a working method, by rendering the partigons properties to a sequence and camera mapping the data to drive instance properties. Not 100% accurate but it works...

Oldcode

Postby Oldcode » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:14 am

Real Flow is meant to be used for special visual effects, because of this, the fluid dynamics engine is not 100% accurate. If you want to do fluid calculations for scientific or engineering work, try looking at XFlow.

http://www.xflowcfd.com/

Good luck,
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

Return to “Lightwave”