LW-objects to Realflow?

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Lightwave
Builtdown

LW-objects to Realflow?

Postby Builtdown » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:42 am

Hi,

What are the best ways to export LW-objects to Realflow for rigid body sim?
Let´s say I have 300 teapots stacked on top of each other in a modeler file and I want to export them to RF. I would have to manually copy and paste all 300 teapots to their own layers for exporting, right? But that´s freaking tedious. Any better options?

BTW, another question : How can I take an object in RF and turn it to say 1000 small cubes for rigid body sim? Or can an object be turned to an emitter somehow? Or how would something like this be done :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH1VcdDtqRc&feature=related

Builtdown

LW-objects to Realflow?

Postby Builtdown » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:42 pm

One more question :

I made a rigid body animation in RF with 100 balls falling in a bowl. I export the sd-file to Lightwave and everything is fine.
Then I want to change the surface parameters of the balls but each ball is a separate object and each has a separate surface. So it is a pain to change any surface parameters. Any tips to help with this?

Thanks!

Builtdown

LW-objects to Realflow?

Postby Builtdown » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:06 am

Feels like a monoluque here...

More questions :

How does the object replacement work between RF and LW?

First I modeled a simple poker chip in Modeler. Then in Layout I cloned it 15 times so there is now a stack of 15 chips. Then I exported the layout file as a sd-file to Realflow.
In Realflow I make a rigid simulation with the chips and a floor plane. Works great!
Then I import the sd-animation to Layout and the animation looks good.

But I want to replace the simple chips to more complex ones.
I model a complex chip in Modeler with same dimensions as the simple ones.

How do I replace the simple chips to more complex ones?

Thanks!

bitSeq

LW-objects to Realflow?

Postby bitSeq » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:15 am

I think you may be in a minority here being a LW user...

If you export your 100 teapots as an sd file and then import it to RF as a multi body you will then avoid having to mess around with so many objects.

You can also set the rigid body collision geometry to convex hull, sphere, cube. That will speed things up.

Regarding replacing the objects with high resolution ones, if you have the high res versions in LW with the same name as the ones coming from the SD file then all of the animation from the sd will be transferred to the high res geo.

Builtdown

LW-objects to Realflow?

Postby Builtdown » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:00 am

>If you export your 100 teapots as an sd file and then import it to RF as a multi body you will then avoid having to mess around with so many objects.

...Thanks! This was a great tip.

>Regarding replacing the objects with high resolution ones, if you have the high res versions in LW with the same name as the ones coming from the SD file then all of the animation from the sd will be transferred to the high res geo.

...this I couldn´t make work yet.
...I have a Realflow scene which has a Cube01 as the floor and Multibody01 (that contains 15 simple chips). I have a high resolution LW object (chip) called Multibody01 opened in Layout. Then I import the sd-file. Animation imports fine but the chips are still the low res ones. Please help!

Thanks.

bitSeq

LW-objects to Realflow?

Postby bitSeq » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:15 am

The original names of the low res objects still exist inside the multibody.sd, the high res ones will need those original names for it to work.

Builtdown

LW-objects to Realflow?

Postby Builtdown » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:30 am

So if the multibody has 15 low res chips (chip_01, chip_02...), I need to replace all of them with different high res chips (chip_01, chip_02...)? What a job!

What if there is 1500 objects to replace?

Builtdown

LW-objects to Realflow?

Postby Builtdown » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:37 pm

What about the surface data? How can surfaces be stored when working with realflow?

If I export a ball from LW that is half blue/half red vie SD-export to Realflow, make Realflow animation and import it back to LW, all objects has the same "default" surface. Is there any way to store surface data with objects?

Thanks!

Return to “Lightwave”