using HyperVoxels to get water look onto RealFlow mesh?

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Lightwave
RfWannabe

Postby RfWannabe » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:31 am

I've been able to bring in a mesh from RealFlow, and apply a blue surface (just to experiment) to the entire mesh sequence.

Applying the shading to a single Mesh frame instead of the MeshReference, applied the surface to ALL the Mesh frames, and I can actually save the LW scene and open it again with all the changes working. YES!

I'm using LW 9.6 on Intel Mac Pro.

However, I've got a few issues.

1. From the following image, the grey mesh in the top right is how it looks in perspective before I do anything. Looks rather like a liquid, although I've got a lot of work to do there.

But the bottom right shows the render - and it looks very different. It does not look like a liquid, but rather a bunch of globs.

And I can see that behind the blue towards the middle of the mesh, there are some grey patches that show thru the blue, so my blue color didn't get applied properly to the entire mesh frame? I'm unsure why?

2. If I can figure that out, I'd like to be able to apply a water (and also play with a blue paint surface). From my notes on the RealFlow forum, a preset for glass is a good way to start (got to figure out how to load a preset). Are there other ideas for this? Has anyone create some realistic liquid surfaces using HyperVoxels?

Thanks!

http://i44.tinypic.com/15x39n7.jpg

RfWannabe

Postby RfWannabe » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:08 pm

HyperVoxels were a bad choice for surfacing a mesh.

To get it working (on Intel Mac):

I did a load object for the 1st mesh, and also the MeshReference.lwo.

From Object Replacement dropdown combo I selected 'NextLimit_MeshSequence'.

At this point, my mesh was showing up for each frame (although an F9 might sometimes be necessary to see. Can't play the animation and see mesh move, but can use arrow keys and mesh will move - or can click on specific frame and see mesh)

Note: I did ** NOT ** use the 'nextLimit_realFlow_mesh' plugin as:
properties - deform tab: add displacement and choose 'nextLimit_realFlow_mesh' plugin to bring in the mesh.

Then, I selected the MeshSurf for the current mesh0100019, and was able to surface it.

However, this surfacing would not 'take'. Also tried to surface the MeshReference, with no luck affecting all of the mesh.

Figured out the way to surface and have it 'take' is to load in all the meshes, set surface editor to 'edit by scene'., change all the surfaces of the mesh, then save out all the objects.

BTW - it might be possible to use LW's object sequencer (instead of NextLimit_MeshSequence). Maybe it will be faster and allow playing the animation in Real Time? (BTW - anyone want to chime in on how to get this to play in real time - I've got an 8 core Mac Pro 16GB running 10.5.7)

was told this will work: - in RealFLow, goto Export-File Name Options

Set Frame Extension Order to "name_#.ext"

So that the meshes are named differently. I'll have to try this.

Also found a nice Mac OS X file renamer:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080609055252255

Hope this helps anyone get meshes working on LW 9.6 Mac UB.

Cheers!

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:16 am

BTW - it might be possible to use LW's object sequencer (instead of NextLimit_MeshSequence). Maybe it will be faster and allow playing the animation in Real Time? (BTW - anyone want to chime in on how to get this to play in real time - I've got an 8 core Mac Pro 16GB running 10.5.7)

You'd be very lucky to get your meshes loading and displaying in real time. You'll have to do a test render.

BTW, did you try using the surface rep plugin to surface your meshes? You can surface one mesh, save out the .srf file and then, using the surfrep plugin (downloadable from NL) apply that surface to all meshes.

Then you can use the lightwave object sequencer (using 3 digit padding) or another object sequence loader to run through your render.

Shaun

RfWannabe

Postby RfWannabe » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:43 pm

shaun_michael wrote: You'd be very lucky to get your meshes loading and displaying in real time. You'll have to do a test render.

BTW, did you try using the surface rep plugin to surface your meshes? You can surface one mesh, save out the .srf file and then, using the surfrep plugin (downloadable from NL) apply that surface to all meshes.

Then you can use the lightwave object sequencer (using 3 digit padding) or another object sequence loader to run through your render.

Shaun

I think the object sequencer is very sensitive to file name, and I'll give it a try.

I'm running on a Mac Pro UB. I didn't see a SurfRep from NextLimit for the Mac?

I did find this lscript, that with some massaging might work:

Code: Select all

// hos_sequencesurfacer.ls
//short example on how to apply a single surface.srf file to an object sequence.

@warnings

generic
{
   AutoConfirm(1); // Danger Will Robinson, this will supress all confirmation requesters and press yes for you.

startItem = 1; //the first object in the sequence
   maxItem = 1000; // the total amount of objects in the sequence
   surfaceFile = "E:Projectswatersplashsurfacesgreen.srf"; // the location of the surface file you want to apply
   objPrefix = "E:Projectswatersplashobjectssplash_"; // the prefix of the object sequence name
   objPostfix = ".lwo"; // the postfix of the object sequence name
   objPadding = 4; //the padding of the numbering in the object sequence

for (curItem=startItem;curItem<maxItem+startItem;curItem++)
   {

LoadObject(objPrefix + strright("0000000000"+string(curItem), objPadding)  + objPostfix); // loads the object
      CommandInput("Surf_Load "+surfaceFile); // applies the surface file (thank you Jeremy Hardin)
      SaveObject(objPrefix + strright("0000000000"+string(curItem), objPadding)  + objPostfix); //save the object
      ClearSelected(); // remove the object from the scene
   }
   AutoConfirm(0); // Turn this off again.
}

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:48 am

Yes, the surfrep app is for PC. Its very quick, so in terms of the hassle you're having on UB it may be an acceptable workaround to transfer your meshes and surface file to a PC and run the app (you dont need LW installed) then transfer your baked meshes back. Not ideal if you want to make tweaks though I'll grant you.

Your other option is to surface and render in LW9.3

Shaun

RfWannabe

Postby RfWannabe » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:52 pm

Shaun - actually, it's not much hassle to just load the entire mesh into LW 9.6 with Load Ojbect. I can select all the .lwo objects easily, and load them all at one time - surface - and save.

Of course, my mesh is probably very small compared to what I'll work with as I get better. Is that workflow going to fail as my mesh gets larger?

The lscript solution seems worth a try and would be cross platform. With a little work, I could modify it to grab all the data it needs without hard coding.

lscripts would be just one more thing to learn. Modo, LW, RealFlow, lighting, surfacing, animating, modeling - oops - my head just exploded.

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:06 am

Is that workflow going to fail as my mesh gets larger?

It's certainly going to slow down.

I think the object sequencer is very sensitive to file name, and I'll give it a try.

It's very sensitive to padding. 3 digits only.

lscripts would be just one more thing to learn. Modo, LW, RealFlow, lighting, surfacing, animating, modeling - oops - my head just exploded.

:) Which is probably why a known workaround such as the one I have suggested may, in the end, prove to be the path of least resistance in the short-term.

Shaun

Return to “Lightwave”