Load RF3 particles in LW ?

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Lightwave
Bazant

Load RF3 particles in LW ?

Postby Bazant » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:21 am

Hi,

As a RF3-user i can not post in the official forum, and nextlimit suggest me to ask here.
i am only RF3 user (i need it only to calculate particles and softbody dynamics .. no mesh,no waves) and i used the last LW (2015) and i have RF3 simulation data (bin files).

I can not import this bin files

can anybody help me ?

Greetings

ChristianZ

Re: Load RF3 particles in LW ?

Postby ChristianZ » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:42 am

Hi

good old RF3 :) I still have an old Mac here, where it is running, if I needed that.

So, in other words, the RF3 particle format is not compatible with the current plugin?

Maybe an alternative would be to export the particles in the other two formats that RF3 has, .ASC and .PDC, and convert them in
a more modern software (.PDC are Maya particles).
RF10 standard + RFC4D

Bazant

Postby Bazant » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:58 am

hi,

thanks for answering. How can i convert .ASC and .PDC to loadable .BIN or load this formats in Lightwave ?

For Nextlimit i not further a customer with RF3(have paid only two versions ..)
With RF2014 .... in few years i have the same problem (not useable software an no support)

Greetings
Bernhard

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:20 am

I am not a LW user myself, maybe Oldcode can comment on how to load different particle formats into this software.

This is a general problem in this field of computing: formats change all the time and become incompatible. The companies then
charge the user to stay compatible and to pay every year... I can understand it from the viewpoint of software producers though, and
sometimes it is actually cheaper to use certain software as in the case of AdobeCC, but it is a paradigm shift for the end user.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

Oldcode

Postby Oldcode » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi,

Sorry, I have no idea how to bring .ASC and .PDC into Lightwave. Since the Compatibility Plugin for Lightwave/Real Flow works really well, I've never had a need. If you are not using RF3 for commercial jobs, then maybe its time to upgrade to RF2014 Learning Edition. It's even possible that you can use the Compatibility Plugin from 2014 to bring in the particles from RF3. I don't know if that would violate your license though.

Good Luck,
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:16 am

Just made a little test with my RF3 (for Mac) here and the latest plugins for some 3D software.

Maya2015: the standard connectivity plugin can read RF3-bin files, render kit for mental ray can read the bin files as well
Cinema4D-R16: connectivity plugin does not show the particles, but render kit can load them

So, yes, one option would be to purchase the learning edition of RF2014 for $99 and this gives you access to the latest plugins, which seem to be able to load the old particle bin-files most of the time (don't know about LW).
RF10 standard + RFC4D

Bazant

Postby Bazant » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:37 pm

hi,

thanks for your posts.
i must think about this ... NL will not upgrade my RF3 Version, maybe, i say "good bye, RealFlow"

if i need it in the future ... i think again ;-)

greetings

Return to “Lightwave”