Exporting texture from C4d to realflow

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Cinema 4D
lukas8410

Exporting texture from C4d to realflow

Postby lukas8410 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi guys!

How would You export a texture with UVW to realflow and make it actually work?

Also is there any possibility of manipulating the texture right in realflow? I mean scale, rotation, position etc?

Thanks for the answers:)
Luke

tsn

Re: Exporting texture from C4d to realflow

Postby tsn » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi lukas8410,

All texture manipulations have to be done inside your host application - C4D in this case. RF doesn't provide any built-in tools for changing UVs, or texture properties. It's a fluid simulation, not a modeling tool ;)

Ideally, you'd prepare your UVs in BodyPaint (or a similar program), export the node as a SD, and import it to RF. The object must have a texture applied as well. When you import the object in RF you'll see a "Texture" panel under "Node Params". There you can specify the path to the texture map you've applied in C4D. If it's not visible go to Node Params > Display > Texture > Object. Shaders, or procedural stuff isn't supported by RF - only "pure" image maps from the material's "Color" channel.

The only way to manipulate UVs in RF is via Python scripting, C++, or Graphs.

lukas8410

Postby lukas8410 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:31 am

Thanks for the reply!

Well I was searching for texture manipulations possibilities, because there was something preventing the program from reading UV's correctly.
As I have later found out, the problem was not in RF itself, but in unfortunate option clicked by me in C4d RF exporter plugin. I've exported my
mesh, as matrix, not vertices and although it looked the same the texture just wasn't working with it for some reason.

I have no ideas what is this "matrix" export option, but I think that was the problem :)

Anyway thanks
Luke

tsn

Postby tsn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:46 am

The "matrix" option is normally used when you export static, or key-framed objects, e.g. a moving sphere. With "vertex" it's possible to export animated geometry on PLA level, e.g. cloth or rigged characters etc. There's one limitation: while the geometry of an object can be deformed, the number of polygons/vertices has to remain constant during the animation, because RF cannot handle dynamic topologies.

Actually I don't have problems with UVs and the matrix mode. Which plugin version do you use?

Cheers,
Thomas

lukas8410

Postby lukas8410 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:58 am

Well I don't know if It's new, or old but 2.1.6
I really don't use RF too often. There seems to be
always something more important to do, or to learn.

Of course there is also a possibility that something else
was causing the problem. To be honest I haven't been
making any "hard tests", or "backward engineering" :)

Cheers
Luke

tsn

Postby tsn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:41 am

2.1.6 is indeed pretty outdated and the current version os 2.3.1. Maybe you should consider a (free) plugin update, because many of RF's file specifications have changed as well with RF2013. But, of course, it's your choice ;)

lukas8410

Postby lukas8410 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:35 am

Ohh haha :) Thanks for the tip, as I have written already I myself am not very much up to date with RF :)

I will look up on it :)

Cheers
Luke

Return to “Cinema 4D”