Lack of "Frame Offset" for the Cache

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Cinema 4D
angel_airlines

Lack of "Frame Offset" for the Cache

Postby angel_airlines » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:59 pm

c4D plugin v. 2.0.1.0040 and the Frame Offset option doesn't appear on the cache tab...

The online manual says it should be there...

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/RF ... +%3A+Cache

Any idea why?

Thanks

tsn

Re: Lack of "Frame Offset" for the Cache

Postby tsn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:23 am

It'll be a feature of the upcoming RF|C4D 2.1 and I forgot to tag it accordingly in the manual. Thanks for pointing me to that.

angel_airlines

Postby angel_airlines » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:51 pm

I have some scenes cached in diferents folders and I’d like to create a master project with all the RF scenes so I can sequence and overlap them.. Anyway to offset the cached scenes?... or there is no way

Maybe there’s a way to cache the cached scenes to an ale bic sequence?

Thanks in advance

tsn

Postby tsn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:05 am

Unfortunately, there's currently no built-in feature for defining offsets in RF|C4D, but the 2.1 update with the "Frame Offset" function is not too far away.

Maybe there’s a way to cache the cached scenes to an ale bic sequence?

Same here: unfortunately not, although it's on our roadmap. But I don't expect such a tool in any of the 2.x updates. We have a stitcher tool in RF standalone, but there's an issue we haven't been able to track down so far. On Windows the stitcher crashes with more than 700 files and our trace logs don't give a reason for that. So, we have to fix this tool first, before it can be incorportated into RF|C4D.

I know it sounds like a tip from the early days of computer graphics, but for now the best way to go is to batch rename the files. Or wait for 2.1, where's at least the "Frame Offset".

angel_airlines

Postby angel_airlines » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:47 pm

A really handy tool (it acts like a C4D tag) for alembic mesh sequences is xreTIME.

It works like a time warper for this alembic sequences generated in RealFlow Standalone.

Pretty cool, and it is free.

http://tcastudios.com/?p=117

tsn

Postby tsn » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:30 am

Many thanks for the link. That's an amazing tool. Never heard about it, but great to know that there's such a plugin.

angel_airlines

Postby angel_airlines » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:33 pm

I have being thinking about the remap option for the fluids simulation as I want to find a way to create a Dspline effect that is pretty fast as it covers a bottle in like 50 frames but I can get the realistic results like when I work in high FPS.
Remapping the animation (or the meshed solution) looks like is gonna create a jaggy effect on the animation as frames will be removed, but I wonder if using the remap tool inside RF Standalone only for the particles once created the DSpline project and the meshing the result would give me the same result. I have never used this tool as It normally crashes.

Any idea on how to work on high FPS simulations and later stretch the duration later without creating a jaggy render?
Is the retime particles before applying the mesher a realistic option?

Thanks

tsn

Postby tsn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:26 am

The bug with Dyverso and the retimer has been fixed in the latest version, so it shouldn't crash anymore. Are you on 10.1.2.0162?

And, yes, meshes shouldn't be retimed, because you have a changing topology there: RF isn't able to interpolate the changing number of vertices and polygons. Therefore it's better to retime the particles and do the meshing in a separate pass afterwards The retimer also doesn't work with simulation where a crown or sheeter has been used. There you add new particles and that's comparable to the newly created or removed vertcies in meshes.

angel_airlines

Postby angel_airlines » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:16 pm

Today I got the update to 10.1.2.0162 at work... used the retime tool with that ribboned flow script of your magazine and it worked like charm.
I have noticed this version is quiet more stable except when sculpting and adding a sheeter... for some reason it always crash, tho if I start RF and add the sheeter and simulate straight away it works alright....

Anyway... the workaround of retiming particles and then meshing is a huge improvement in this project I am involved right now.
Many thanks,

tsn

Postby tsn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:27 am

Are you using the GPU for your simulations? Maybe you want to give this scene a try without the GPU to see if it's still crashing. Another reason could be that the number of particles is getting too high at some point of your simulation, or that there are some super fast particles. In the latter case you could add a k Speed daemon, set max speed to something like 10 and activiate "Limit & Keep" to keep the particles, and not destroy them. You should also deactivate the sheeter's "Velocity alignment", because in simulations like yours it often creates lots of particles in unwanted areas.

Just let me know if some of this workarounds did help.

Cheers,
Thomas

Return to “Cinema 4D”