Real Flow V2 and Octane Crashes

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Cinema 4D
montyVFX

Real Flow V2 and Octane Crashes

Postby montyVFX » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:09 am

Hi all,

I am trying to render a RealFlow project that is about 200 frames in Octane. I rendered the first half of the sequence without a problem, but then it crashed. Now I can't get any frames to render and it keeps crashing. I re-cached the animation and rebuilt my render setting, but it's just a crash every time.

My other thought was to use the animated alembic sequence, but I can't get the frame sequence to load properly. It will only import a single frame of the cached sequence.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks,
Monty

tsn

Re: Real Flow V2 and Octane Crashes

Postby tsn » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:05 pm

Hi Monty,

Could you please provide some more infos on your system? Do you perhaps have multiple GPUs of the same type (e.g. 2x gtx1080) installed? It's also interesting to know which other plugins are installed, maybe Turbulence 4D and/or X-Particles? We have some reports of users experiencing crashes with multiple GPUs and it's somehow puzzling, because we haven't been able to trace back the reason for these crashes so far.

If you have crash reports or any other information you don't want to share here just PM me and I'll send you my mail address.

Thanks,
Thomas

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:52 pm

Hi

I don't understand this part:
My other thought was to use the animated alembic sequence, but I can't get the frame sequence to load properly. It will only import a single frame of the cached sequence.

You can make use of the cached alembic files simply by applying the correct path to the files and check "use cache" in the settings of the RFC4Dv2 "Scene/Cache" object, then play the timeline.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

montyVFX

Postby montyVFX » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:47 pm

tsn- Hi and thanks for the reply. I have a Apexx 4 7901 Boxx Workstation with a dual-xeon 3.4 Ghzand a single Quadro M5000 and 128 Gb of RAM running on SSD HD and . and a small render slave with two 1080i cards.I do have TFD and Xparticles installed and also CV Toolkit and Cycles 4D GPU rendering.

Christian- I am looking for a workaround since C4D is saying Realflow is crashing. I want to bake down to an animated mesh. There must be some way that you can do this?

tsn

Postby tsn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:58 am

Thanks for the feedback Monty. Your configuration supports our observations that two or more GPUs of the same type lead to crashes. Of course we'll try to fix this asap and we apologize for the trouble and inconvenience you have.

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:18 am

Christian- I am looking for a workaround since C4D is saying Realflow is crashing. I want to bake down to an animated mesh. There must be some way that you can do this?

In the standalone RealFlow there is a command to stitch/merge .abc files into one which is then an animated fluid mesh, for example. But we should make a new discussion thread for that.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

montyVFX

Postby montyVFX » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:03 pm

That sounds exactly like what I need :idea:

tsn

Postby tsn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Hey Monty,

One of my colleagues has written a short Python script that lets you load Alembic mesh files from RF|C4D (or just RF) one by one at render time. I've added a C4D project file and a description how to use it. It's pretty easy, but you have to be a little careful with paths and names. But if you did it once it won't be a problem anymore to configure it a 2nd or 3rd time. Of course you can incorporate the C4D project file into other projects.

Important: The parameter "Optimize cache" must be disabled.

Below the link. It's on Google Drive and you'll get a warning that there's no preview. Ignore it and download the zip. Feel free to share:

http://bit.ly/2uVcCNS

Cheers,
Thomas

montyVFX

Postby montyVFX » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:42 am

Wow this is amazing and a million thank yous for your help.

I can't seem to get this to work. I am applying the file path to my mesher's .abc cache and I am not using Optimize setting. No mesh is being generated.

Am I missing something?

tsn

Postby tsn » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:09 pm

You're welcome. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but this script doesn't create any meshes, it will just load existing meshes one by one at render time:

In the first step you simulate with the RF|C4D plugin as usual and cache your meshes.
Then you close the simulation scene and load the one with the Python script.
In this scene you have to load the first mesh of the sequence through the "mesh" object
Then let the script point to the folder with the meshes and apply the mesh files' common prefix, most probably this is "Mesher_".

Once configured you can merge the Python scene with any other project, but it's important that the Python/merged scene doesn't have a RealFlow "Scene" object. Maybe you want to take a look at document included with the scene? I've described the process there. If you can't get along with this guide let me know and I'll try to record a video.

Cheers,
Thomas

Return to “Cinema 4D”