The splines from Hell

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Cinema 4D
djfilms

The splines from Hell

Postby djfilms » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:32 am

I just spent an hour of my dwindling life trying to use a spline emitter for the first time. Jeeeeeeeeeeeez! Talk about braindead interfaces. No wonder they call the OS Eunuchs. So...

1. I can generate the requisite spline in C4D, but can't seem to import that to use as an emitter in RF2014. Is there a way?

2. I extruded the spline in C4D to generate polys, imported to RF2014, but can't get it to emit using the particle object emitter.

3. I swept a circle along the spline in C4D to generate polys, imported to RF2014, but can't get it to emit using the object emitter.

4. As a test, I created a cube in C4d, exported and can't get that either to perform as an emitter.

so.....

1. Can C4d geometry or a spline be imported to RF2014 to use as an emitter? If so, how.

Any guidance gratefully received.

ChristianZ

Re: The splines from Hell

Postby ChristianZ » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi

you cannot export a spline directly from C4D to RF, but you should be able to export polygonal geometry and use as object emitter. You have to convert parametric objects in RF to polygonal ones before doing so. You may get an error about overlapping faces or too small faces, but you can ignore this message.
Nurbs and subdivision surface objects you also first have to convert inside C4d, but you can use the high quality mesh for rendering inside C4D and export a converted "dummy" to RF for using it there.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

djfilms

Postby djfilms » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:07 pm

Christian,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I had converted both the sweep ad extrude objects by pressing the C key in C4D, thinking that removed the parametric status of these objects.

I'm obviously missing some step here, but thank you for confirming that I should be able to do this. I'll fiddle some more.

regards, David

Mikkelm2

Postby Mikkelm2 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:30 am

Maybe try and take your sweep/extrude nurbs into a "Connect" and then convert to polygon geometry by pressing C. You will find the connect under the same place as the Boole tool :)

djfilms

Postby djfilms » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Mikkelm2,

Thanks for your suggestion.. I'll try it.

regards, David

Return to “Cinema 4D”