Can't make realistic splash for object dropping into RW

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Cinema 4D
djfilms

Can't make realistic splash for object dropping into RW

Postby djfilms » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:03 pm

SOS. I have an embarrassingly simple problem which I can't solve.

I'm trying to replicate the attached image splash of a body falling into a river. The inset image is what I get so far. I'm using a RealWave, a kspeed daemon to avoid isolated particles, and the result is awful, so I'm very far from a proper solution.

Can any clever soul give me some tips on how to get a mesh which looks like the original image?

Any help gratefully received.
Attachments
splash-demo.jpg
splash-demo.jpg (130.1 KiB) Viewed 1897 times

ChristianZ

Re: Can't make realistic splash for object dropping into RW

Postby ChristianZ » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:18 pm

My advice for such projects is: don't use a mesh at all, use a particle render solution for it.

This depends on your rendering software, but each major program has some options for particles to render them as points, blurred streaks or small clouds. Sometimes you have to be creative with these things, adding a lot of motion blur and, for example, using the hair renderer in cinema4D for this purpose, or render small spheres with the render kit plugins using a cloud shader. Krakatoa is also on option, if available.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

djfilms

Postby djfilms » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Christian,

thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have a mesh in mind because I saw Thomas Schlick presenting at IBC and he showed how to use vertex maps in C4D to, for example, blend between two materials by using particle speed. Looking at the original image above, you see transparency in parts of the mesh and white opacity in others, for the varying speed of the vertices. Can the equivalent be done for particles? (I have x-particles but not Krakatoa.) I don't see how to render as particles and get the dual-material effect

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:59 pm

Actually, I am working on a similar project at the moment (a kind of a fountain) where I want to render both, particles as spray and a mesh as body of water separately. However, it is tricky. You have to use a large scale, higher resolution and the mesh has to be really detailed (render kit recommended). Your current mesh is too small and blobby. Then the sim time will go up, of course.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

djfilms

Postby djfilms » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks, Christian.

I'll try making the scale larger.

good luck with your project!

regards, David

Return to “Cinema 4D”