import point data (.asc?) into max or rhino

Discussions about the use of Realflow 4
shinyapple

Postby shinyapple » Thu May 26, 2011 2:29 am

Hi all!

I'm trying to import a single frame of particles into max or rhino as a point cloud which I can then explode into individual points. By exporting the particles as .asc I can import them into rhino, but they seem to be missing one dimension, and come out in a massive long line of points. However, when I open the .asc file in notepad it seems to have all 3 dimensions correct.

Does anyone know if there's an easier way to access the point data? Or a better plugin to import .asc, for max or rhino or something else?

Imma keep searching but I thought I'd post here in the meantime to see if anyone can help me out. Cheers!

shinyapple

Postby shinyapple » Thu May 26, 2011 9:15 am

Well, I answered my own question. I imported the .bin files into rhino using the realflowimporter plugin, baked it into a pointcloud, exported it as a .dwg, imported it into 3dsmax, and meshed it using the blobmesh compound. o/

bitSeq

Postby bitSeq » Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 am

Why not just import the bin files straight into 3ds max and not go through rhino...?

shinyapple

Postby shinyapple » Thu May 26, 2011 9:50 am

I wanted to be able to explode the particles into points and move/edit them individually. I couldn't find a way to do this with the particles directly in max...?

sabandija

Postby sabandija » Mon May 30, 2011 2:34 pm

Hey, interesting workflow was searching myself for a solution to work directly on particles in max. How many particles did you import in rhino? I dont know if the export to dwg will work if you have couple of millions.

shinyapple

Postby shinyapple » Tue May 31, 2011 10:41 pm

Yeah, not many particles. I could bake a lot of points rhino no problem but importing the dwg into max was getting pretty slow with anything less than 8,000 or so. Individually editing millions of points would be a headache all of its own! I was surprised how good-looking a mesh I could get from so few points and a relax modifier.

Another thing I found very useful was the maxscript listener - typing things like $.size=1 to change the size of all the points at once was wayyyyy easier than individually changing 8,000 of them.

Return to “Realflow 4”