Making a real wax

Discussions about the use of Realflow 4
Smolda

Making a real wax

Postby Smolda » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi there!
first of all sorry for my english..
Iam new to real flow and I am looking for some good soul that can help me.

I am working on a little project to school and I need to fill a candlestick with a lot of wax which stayes there usualy after a lot of candles have been melted. So my question is, how can I make wax in real flow? and can i make it somehow that after it poured over a candlestick it starts to cool down and a new wax is making another layer? So in the end it looks like a mountain of wax?

I hope my question can be undrestood.

Thanks for any advice
Edudant

Anaxarchos

Making a real wax

Postby Anaxarchos » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:27 pm

What you are asking for is one of the more complex tasks in RealFlow.

...try using a very high viscosity, something like 200 or more, no surface tension and a substeps rationg of 50 -100.

The "Cooling Down" needs to be done via Python scripting.
www.fk-fx.com

lukeiamyourfather

Making a real wax

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Double post... oops.

lukeiamyourfather

Making a real wax

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:26 pm

When wax is hot it has a very low viscosity relative to when cold (like 3.0-4.0 when hot). This is not all that different from simulating water in RealFlow. The key is how to handle the cooling of the wax. This could be done by transferring particles to different emitters of varying viscosity as the particle ages, for example start with an emitter of viscosity 3.0 then move to an emitter with 6.0 after a dozen frames. Each time it jumps emitters the next will have higher viscosity. Eventually when the particles reach a velocity threshold (like 0.1) then use Python to freeze them.

Alternatively a Python daemon could be used to add drag to the particles based on their age. Again, at a velocity threshold have the particles freeze with Python. Getting the exact shapes and look of real melted and cooled wax will be difficult but in theory everything needed to simulate the cooling wax is possible in RealFlow.

IoSim

Making a real wax

Postby IoSim » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:30 am

Hi

Eventhough this is a RealFlow 4 question I still think it's appropiate to highlight the free HotNCold plugin for RF5.
Temperature based "viscosity" is build into this plugin. This means that different parts of the same emitter behave differently based on the local temperature. See this video as an example : Click me
Where you can see the Freeze effect on the liquid to the left.
The liquid to the right does not allow freezing but the viscosity is visible higher when the liquid cools.

It is a particle based forced applied on top of the native viscosity setting of the emitter and can depend on both temperature aswell as relative speed compared with the neighbours.

-Cheers Ole
Ole Lemming
RealFlow plugin developer
IoSim, Creative Thinking Lab
www.iosim.dk

Smolda

Making a real wax

Postby Smolda » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:48 pm

hi guys, thank you all for your advices! It really helped me. Iam now doing some experiments with all the settings, as Iam a beginner.
Luckily I have an access even for RF 5(I should have told) so I downloaded this HotNcold plugin and Iam testing it right now. I think this is exactly what I need.
IoSim, in your video, i have a question for the simulation on the right: how did you do it, that the liquid is somehow making new layers? Is it only by its high viscosity?

by the way, I was thinking about making new layers by simply adding more emiters. Like the first emiter stop after while and the liquid freeze, then the other emiter starts, pouring liquid over the frozen one, thus making new layer. But I dont know if it would melt the frozen one. What do you think?
Or does someone have any experiences with making it freeze, then export it to max or maya, make it object and then export it back to RF and here put another layer of fluyd on it?

Anaxarchos: by substeps rating you meen the MIN subseps and MAX substeps in preferences? And what does these do?

IoSim

Making a real wax

Postby IoSim » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Smolda wrote: IoSim, in your video, i have a question for the simulation on the right: how did you do it, that the liquid is somehow making new layers? Is it only by its high viscosity?

by the way, I was thinking about making new layers by simply adding more emiters. Like the first emiter stop after while and the liquid freeze, then the other emiter starts, pouring liquid over the frozen one, thus making new layer. But I dont know if it would melt the frozen one. What do you think?

Hi

First question. Yes it is only high viscosity, applied by the HotNCold plugin. The standard viscosity setting is the same for all particles both to the left and to the right.

Second question. Yes you can achieve the wanted effect by using exclusive linking, so the next emitter is linked to the previous, but not the other way around. Thereby it's possible to only transfer energy (temperature) oneway and in this case from the frozen particles to the newly added particles.

-Cheers Ole
Ole Lemming
RealFlow plugin developer
IoSim, Creative Thinking Lab
www.iosim.dk

Return to “Realflow 4”