Collapsing towers

Discussions about the use of Realflow 4
jimandrada

Collapsing towers

Postby jimandrada » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:13 am

Hi,

I'm trying to simulate a set of solid glass towers sitting in a pool. One by one each tower would "melt" into a liquid and collapse into the pool. Eventually there would be objects sitting on top of the towers which would then float around, but for now I'm just trying to get the idea of how to make the towers collapse.

Up to now what I've tried was to make up a model in C4D and import it and then put a fill object emitter in each tower and make an initial state and then reset and delete the original object and start the sim. It actually seems to work OK even if it is a bit of a dumb way to do it.

The problem I had was having more than one tower collapse in sequence - if I filled them all with fill object emitters, all the liquid in each tower started to settle under the influence of gravity at the beginning of the sim.

If I put an emitter in each one and just let it run until the object was "full" I got a rather nice explosion as soon as I deleted the enclosing object.

Tried playing with viscosity, (ie if the fluid is viscous enough it should behave like glass) and then change the viscosity of each tower at the appropriate part of the sim. This didn't really work well either.

Any ideas?

Clearly I'm not exactly an RF expert!!! Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

shaun_michael

Collapsing towers

Postby shaun_michael » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:54 am

The problem I had was having more than one tower collapse in sequence - if I filled them all with fill object emitters, all the liquid in each tower started to settle under the influence of gravity at the beginning of the sim.

Ideally, here, what you want to do is fill your objects and then allow them to settle before the sim starts. Using the fill object emitter (depending on your pressure settings) probably won't give you "full" objects though, simply because of the settling process. So your other option is to fill them using normal emitters until they are full - then allow them to settle in terms of stopping moving, as opposed to settling into one relaxed volume.

Next, you'd want a python script that freezes all particles at the start of the sim, then, using a frame count, unfreeze each emitter in the order and within the timescale you want.

It sounds difficult, but it isn't, so fill your objects and settle them, then give us a shout and we can help you with the python part when you're ready.

Shaun

jimandrada

Collapsing towers

Postby jimandrada » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:52 am

Thanks a lot Shaun

I've been suspecting that Python might be the way to go - not that I know anything about Python. But I suspect it won't be too bad to learn (I started programming in 1959 but haven't done any in the last 30 years or so.) Hard part will be figuring out the mysterious inner structures of RF!

One thing I noticed about filling things was that when it looks full, it will "explode" rather than collapsing when I delete the enclosing shape - seems to generate particles and pack them under pressure.

shaun_michael

Collapsing towers

Postby shaun_michael » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:41 am

One thing I noticed about filling things was that when it looks full, it will "explode" rather than collapsing when I delete the enclosing shape - seems to generate particles and pack them under pressure.

Yes indeed.

Let us know how you get on with the set-up.

Shaun

Return to “Realflow 4”