cpu usage in realflow 4 (what cpu do you have ?)

Discussions about the use of Realflow 4
Chman

Postby Chman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:23 pm

Just a quick thought for windows user :

I just reinstalled a clean windows on my computer (Win XP Pro) and I experienced something weird with Realflow that never happened to me before. I'm currently working on a pretty heavy scene with multi-fluids interactions and high resolution emitter, but simulating only use 23/24% of my cpu with four threads (I'm running on a quad core). A quick look at my task manager and I saw something disturbing. Realflow's affinity was set to only ONE core (CPU0). I don't know why, it's maybe a bug, but I had to check CPU1, CPU2, CPU3 to allow Realflow to use the three others cores. Doing this pushed my cpu usage to 90%.

So qasar, if you have a four cores license and still have 25% cpu usage on the benchmark scene even with four threads, make sure Realflow is allowed to use every core :

CTRL-ALT-DEL -> Process tab -> Right click on realflow.exe -> Affinity

Tom

8cores

Postby 8cores » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:25 am

Chman wrote: Just a quick thought for windows user :

I just reinstalled a clean windows on my computer (Win XP Pro) and I experienced something weird with Realflow that never happened to me before. I'm currently working on a pretty heavy scene with multi-fluids interactions and high resolution emitter, but simulating only use 23/24% of my cpu with four threads (I'm running on a quad core). A quick look at my task manager and I saw something disturbing. Realflow's affinity was set to only ONE core (CPU0). I don't know why, it's maybe a bug, but I had to check CPU1, CPU2, CPU3 to allow Realflow to use the three others cores. Doing this pushed my cpu usage to 90%.

So qasar, if you have a four cores license and still have 25% cpu usage on the benchmark scene even with four threads, make sure Realflow is allowed to use every core :

Tom

if you see this link
**Mod: please do not post the URL of download page. Hardware requirements text may be cited instead.**

you can understad why your cpu is not runing at 100%, they never talk about xeon's or intel's quadcore, why?, because this program is programed for amd procesors, then they are NOT using ssse3 (xeon) intructions or sse4 intructions for the (intel quadcore) they are using sse3 and sse2 only

or maybe is this:

Number of threads is set to 0 when the field in the preferences is left empty and
we press enter.

- Bug #1060

i don't know so much about realflow, but i really know about xeon's and amd's intructions...

maybe some expert of nextlimit can answer this topic...

8cores

Postby 8cores » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:32 am

Henrik Fort wrote: slow with high end hardware hmm, i tougth this was a soft for high end users and productions the price for 8 core license is high end

can you post a video (youtube) of a simulation runing at 100% of your xeon's (8 cores at 100%), this will be great for everybody... could you?

in this link you can see a better explain of what i am trying to say:
http://www.tomshardware.com/de/QX9650-Penryn-Intel-Quadcore,testberichte-239853-4.html

Chman

Postby Chman » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:48 am

8cores : read my post carefully, most of my Realflow simulations use 90/100% of my cpu... I was just referring to a bug that could happen to some others people about windows only giving one core to Realflow.

but i really know about xeon's and amd's intructions...

And so you know about how Realflow is programmed ? Knowing about processor is on thing, knowing the software is another one. And your argument about SSE3 & 4 is invalid. It's not because Realflow doesn't use SSE3 or 4 instructions sets that it will only use 50% of the CPU. Processors don't work like that. Get an Opteron and a Core Quad for example, the most powerful will run Realflow's simulations faster. That's all. If the Intel one is faster, it will simulate faster, even if Realflow doesn't use SSE3.

Believe me, the main cause for Realflow not fully using the CPU is because of data writing on the HDD constantly.

because this program is programed for amd procesors, then they are NOT using ssse3 (xeon) instructions or sse4 intructions for the (intel quadcore) they are using sse3 and sse2 only

So Realflow uses SSE3 or not ? The thing is, AMD processors (previous to Phenom & Barcelona) don't have any special instruction sets (except for 3DNow! which is very old). So I don't really see how Realflow has been made especially for AMD processors. How come I can simulate the benchmark with a Q6600 an get a so fast result ?

Those days it's hard (and kind of stupid) to develop a software for a given computer. There's almost no reason to do that.

if you see this link
**Mod: please do not post the URL of download page. Hardware requirements text may be cited instead.**

What should I see on this link ? I see nothing about the software being made for AMD processors.

Tom

8cores

Postby 8cores » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:38 pm

Chman wrote: Those days it's hard (and kind of stupid) to develop a software for a given computer. There's almost no reason to do that.

Tom

ok, i understand your point of view (you as user), but for me if a program is using this code tu run on vista64 (realflow64bit):

is optimized to run with amd64, if you think is "kind of stupid" to develop software for a processor then could you explain me why vista64 can't run on pentium4, or why photoshop cs3 can't run on leopard64bit-intel?

maybe cs3 is designed for the most used procesors in the industry and adobe don't care processors of 64bit at this moment.

the most used procesors at this moment in the 3d industry are the amd, the people of ilm are using amd (for example), their particle systems (softwares) are optimized for amd instructions...

another example: maya hardware render is optimized to run with nvidia cards (fx4000 up ((specific chip right)) but you can switch to run with ati's, changing with a .txt editor the instructions of the maya startup to tell the program to use ati gpu to render... (i am talking about render not displaying 3d on screen)

for sure the developers of all software available on the market have to run a set of instructions in the installer to detect with wich kind of cpu's are runing on this this code used tu run realflow64 on vista64 (ask nextlimit people if this code are not true)

another thing of this code is "assemblyIdentity type='win32' " why they are telling -vista64- realflow 64 installer- is a 32bit application? why it installs on the 32 bit folder? why?

i know you love realflow, i like it too but this software is not optimized to use 64bit processor like your xeons, there are programs to see in realtime what kind of intructions are using an aplication (32 or 64) and realflow are using only 32bit instruction sets, i cant belive your xeon's are runing at 100-90% all the time, because the intruction set of this program (amd64 are based on 2 sets of 32 bit) only phenom are true 64 (talking about amd)

all the .dll of the 64 bit version of realflow are 32bit based on the amd64 intruction set or optimized to...

"Those days it's hard (and kind of stupid) to develop a software", that is not true, all software are optimized for some kind of cpu's and hardware.

autodesk is showing certified hardware, aperture from apple only start up i you have specific certified hardware... (specific gpu's and cpu's and ammount of ram)

i like a lot realflow, i dont know why it reminds me glu3d . com, maybe because both are from spanish people, maybe they studied in the same school, or maybe they was part of the same proyect at the beginning...

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:41 am

or maybe they was part of the same proyect at the beginning

Indeed, and this is well documented.

So back on topic. Has anyone enquired of Next Limit as to whether Realflow is optimised for specific processors or not? It would seem to me to be the logical question to ask.

Shaun

Chman

Postby Chman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:44 am

8cores : ok, so you were talking about 64bits instructions, which I can't talk about because I only use my quad in a 32bits environment. Oh, and if you don't believe me for the cpu usage, I can make you a video :)

Shaun : from what 8cores say, Realflow is not fully optimized to run in a 64bits environment, so I don't really know. I really don't think there's a processor *made* for realflow, I had an opteron previously and it ran well too.

Tom

Henrik Styve

Postby Henrik Styve » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:39 pm

if you are refering to me ive never said my xeon´s are running 100%

but i can post a cpu test on youtube if the people wants it

i have a 32 bit socket 604 dual xeon 2.4
and 64 bit socket 771 dual xeon 2.33 any rec on wich capture soft uses the least cpu ??

Henrik-:)

8cores wrote: [quote=Henrik Fort]slow with high end hardware hmm, i tougth this was a soft for high end users and productions the price for 8 core license is high end

can you post a video (youtube) of a simulation runing at 100% of your xeon's (8 cores at 100%), this will be great for everybody... could you?

in this link you can see a better explain of what i am trying to say:
http://www.tomshardware.com/de/QX9650-Penryn-Intel-Quadcore,testberichte-239853-4.html[/quote]
dell precision 490 with dual quad core 2.33 ( Xeon E5345)
Intel x-25 ssd 160
Quadro Fx 4800
20gb ram Win 7 64 bit

+ several 6 core slaves

bitSeq

Postby bitSeq » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:57 pm

:o

OMG! I didn't even know this existed!

Thank you, thank you!!!

WaterMan

Postby WaterMan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:51 pm

12% Cpu use for me. :bored: Slooooow splash calc.

Return to “Realflow 4”