Realflow runs out of memory during simulation

Discussions about the use of Realflow 3
llien

Postby llien » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi all. I was hoping someone would have some sugestions concerning my memory problem... I have a scene with two fill/deform emitters, one inside a bottle and one inside a glass. both are about half full, 95000 particles for the one, 70000 particles for the other. I'm doing commandline simulations (on one machine...), and every time, around 80 frames into the sim(out of 260), memory usage starts climbing from 430mb till it reaches 2.16g and then falls over. same thing happens while using realflow app. the machine i'm using has 2g ram, tried it on duelcore with 4g ram, same thing, same numbers. the funny thing is, not much changes during the sim, the bottle is static pouring fluid into the glass, kinda like a tap.

so, the questions i'm asking(finally), are:

1.) am i using too many particles? i can't think that this is the problem... but i could be wrong.

2.) is there something specific that i should have a look at concerning the scene i'm importing from maya7?

3.) can i continue a commandline sim from a specific frame number if i have the preceding bin files, instead of redoing the entire sim?

thank you in advance for all your super-accurate replies ;-)

-llien

ps: realflow3, maya7, fluid settings tweaked to my liking. all of those bits seems fine.

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:29 pm

1.) am i using too many particles? i can't think that this is the problem... but i could be wrong.

Its unlikely your particle count will be causing the problem I'd have thought.

2.) is there something specific that i should have a look at concerning the scene i'm importing from maya7?

Hmmmm, difficult to say, but always worth making sure you're not bringing over any more than absolutely necessary. Again, I doubt this is the issue though.

3.) can i continue a commandline sim from a specific frame number if i have the preceding bin files, instead of redoing the entire sim?

Yes, I would have thought so. The data for all but the last .bin file will be intact so like you would on the GUI version you'd load up the timeline and run the sim from the last intact frame onwards. I dont know the syntax for it though (thats one thing I should do more of, using the command line). I'm sure someone will be able to confirm that one.

Have a look at your scene on frame 59. Whats going on. Where are the particles? Are there any in odd locations? Are any extreme forces coming together at the time? Basically, what's happening at that time?

Off the top of my head i cant remember whether RF3 has a memory tool where you can purge the memory, but if you can, stop it after it ahas completed simulation frame 59, purge the memory and set it off again.

My guess would be that there's an event on that frame that is causing the problem, have a good hunt around.

Shaun

llien

Postby llien » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:29 am

hi Shaun. thanks for the speedy reply! right after i posted yesterday, i tried your memory purging trick(read it somewhere else), didn't have any joy. tried changing the sim's properties, no luck again. BUT THEN, i read something about stray particles using more memory to calculate,and i had about 10, so i added an isolate and for extra measure, a volume around the sim, pushed up the num of particles and voila, it worked! i got to work and it finished 400 frames of watery doom!

so, thank you for an awesome and highly informative forum!

-llien

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:55 am

That's great. Thats what I meant be looking for particles in odd locations. Perhaps I should have been more descriptive. There's a post from mark Stasiuk that explains Realflow's memory usage in post #7 of this thread.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

Shaun

Return to “Realflow 3”