Tips & Tricks Section

Place your suggestions for improvements to the site in this forum
shaun_michael

Tips & Tricks Section

Postby shaun_michael » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi,

Many other forums have a tips and tricks section where people can layout little tricks that can help make your sims better in a number of different ways. Could be split into sub-sections like RBD, Fluid, Soft bodies, Meshing etc. Maybe this section could be added to each of the subforums in the RF4 forum that already exists.

There are already a large number of these floating around the forum in different threads, but are quite difficult to find hidden in seemingly unrelated post titles. Collating these or letting people add them to a section of their own may help old and new users alike.

Or maybe a "Before you start your simulation, check these things..." type section.

Just musing :)

Shaun

DesignerV

Tips & Tricks Section

Postby DesignerV » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:28 pm

+1 :)

ChristianZ

Tips & Tricks Section

Postby ChristianZ » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:41 pm

Hi !

thanks for these ideas for enhancing the forum, however "Tips&Tricks" sounds to me somewhat similar as the "tutorials" section, which we already have in the forum. The tutorials section was used until now mainly for informations about other websites, but that does not have to be like that. On the other hand, it does not hurt to have more sub-sections...I just thought that we might sometimes rather need a little more discipline in posting into the right sections, than more sections. :angel:

The ideal format for tutorials might be in the format of webpages where you have full control of the layout. There is still some space left on the server, where I store my movies, and it would be no problem to host a tutorial.
I am actually preparing a tutorial at the moment on how changes of simulation parameters influence the shape of liquids with visual examples.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

DesignerV

Tips & Tricks Section

Postby DesignerV » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:00 pm

That's really good!
I'll wait forward for your tutor :)

katisss

Tips & Tricks Section

Postby katisss » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:57 pm

I have been thinking about FAQs or something wiki style...
http://www.lo-motion.de

shaun_michael

Tips & Tricks Section

Postby shaun_michael » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:34 pm

I have been thinking about FAQs or something wiki style...

That sounds very useful.

@ Christian :)

In many ways I agree with you regarding posting discipline. Also, writing tutorials is always very good, but as I'm sure you've found, it is time-consuming. But tutorials are excellent for working your way through complete scenarios etc.

However, when posting a perfectly legit question, even if you put it in the correct forum, there's always a possibility that a gem of a tip might surface in amongst the replies to it and then be buried in amongst the rest of the forum posts. They can be a little hard to find and I was just thinking about either extracting these nuggets and depositing them elsewhere, or having a section where the author can plonk said nugget.

Shaun

katisss

Tips & Tricks Section

Postby katisss » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:23 pm

Has anybody experience in setting up wiki software?
I havent.

shaun_michael

Tips & Tricks Section

Postby shaun_michael » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:35 pm

I'm afraid not.

Shaun

ascent

Tips & Tricks Section

Postby ascent » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:17 am

I know I'm not part of the staff or anything, but I have extensive knowledge in setting up wikis. MediaWiki (that runs wikipedia, etc) is probably the most popular and is quite easy to set up. I'd be happy to (help) set it up if it meant a better storing of the realflow information that's out there.

katisss

Tips & Tricks Section

Postby katisss » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:30 am

Great, i once downloaded it but got stuck with the instructions.
If you can help that would be just great.

Return to “Suggestions”