Competitions

Place your suggestions for improvements to the site in this forum
glynius

Competitions

Postby glynius » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:07 pm

Hi, i've allready mentioned to one of my posts that it would be very intresting to organize more competitions for the users and even for the moderators, by this way we all share our knowledge on specific exercises. And the prize of the competitions will be the knowledge, the most precious prize.

ChristianZ

Competitions

Postby ChristianZ » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:21 am

Hi !

I agree with you, competitions/challenges is a common activity in a forum. Many forums in the 3D-field have modelling and art challenges, such as on the cgtalk forum, for example.
The difficulty with RF competitions is, that the projects often become VERY costly regarding work, simulation time and also rendering (it is an animation in most cases, right ?). There is also the "exhaustion" of competitions in forums, which can be observed: many have an idea, some show their first steps, but only few finish an image/movie. Sorry if this sounds a little negative, but it is probably reality.
Therefore, I think that many types of film effects (tsunami, beach waves, city destroyed by water/earthquake, dam break,....) and character animation are not possible to do as a competition. Instead more realistic goals could be smaller scale effects such as the classic whisky with icecubes, droplet splashes, melting stuff, breaking something, milk, wine, oil coming out of olives, lemons falling into Vodka....
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

glynius

Competitions

Postby glynius » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:53 am

Hi!
I agree with you that it needs a lot of effort and time to do large scale scenes, but it worths to give it a try, for sure some users will not go throw and finish their animations, but believe me that even if one ore two users finish the job, it will be a profit for all. I've allready started the effort to make a scene with flood similar to flowline, if anybody else want's to participate it will be good. I believe that when you have a specific goal to achieve you learn more things in the way. I insist on trying to compare flowline and realflow because i am not quite sure that we car reach in anyway flowline, but the best way to find it out is to try to make something similar.

Glyn

ChristianZ

Competitions

Postby ChristianZ » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:11 am

glynius wrote: Hi!
I agree with you that it needs a lot of effort and time to do large scale scenes, but it worths to give it a try, for sure some users will not go throw and finish their animations, but believe me that even if one ore two users finish the job, it will be a profit for all.

Yes, if this one or two users reveal their secrets in a tutorial.

glynius wrote: I insist on trying to compare flowline and realflow because i am not quite sure that we car reach in anyway flowline, but the best way to find it out is to try to make something similar.

Hmm... but you don't have this software flowline in your hands, no ? So, how can you compare ? This is not possible only with comparing some movies, because you can not duplicate the setup of those flowline artists and what they exactly wanted to achieve. With Houdini there is at least some kind of demo version and Blender is for free, therefore those programs could be compared by the same person.

orr

Competitions

Postby orr » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:45 am

some easy competions would be nice just like the niced fire emitter, the most weird scripted emitter or the nicest set up for this and that ... cause realflow isn't about finishing it's more about how to set things up

bitSeq

Competitions

Postby bitSeq » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:25 am

Yes I agree, some competitions/callenges would be fun and also informative! For example recreate a photo/video of a liquid or make an incredible machine using dynamics! We could have fun with this. Lets do a 2008 comp!

raderfan

Competitions

Postby raderfan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:48 pm

I totally agree.
After the last competition I was waiting for this years!!
I agree that alot of the people that started didn't finish, but the field in any good race narrows as you near the end. I agree the award should be the collective effort and knowledge gained. And it should be something easy we could realistically finish in lets say 3 months.
ie.
A breaking wave
a crown splash
ice cubes falling into liquid
a drops rolling down the outside of a beer bottle

If the sd or obj's were provided by the forums we could agree on a scene scale and
really have a base in which to compare settings and practices.
Lets do it!!!
Effects Lead Kompost
http://www.kompost.tv
www.tsunamifx.com
soyerc1@gmail.com

tanyu

Competitions

Postby tanyu » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:48 am

glad to join

______________________________________________________________________________________
louis vuitton handbags louis vuitton bags

sabandija

Competitions

Postby sabandija » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Im in too, but im not sure if i will finish ;)

Regarding software comparisions, in my opinion its useless anyway. Better to compare the outcome. An artist makes the image/scene not the software. Sure its maybe better to use flowline or naiad for large scale stuff (at least workflow and algorithm wise). But what makes flowline different is just its proprietary software, so next to the artist sits the developer. If you say damn for this and that shot it would be nice to have this and that tool implemented and bang there it is. Just my opinion.

ChristianZ

Competitions

Postby ChristianZ » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi !

there will be no new competition here on the forum, because we have seen already, that not enough people will participate and finish their entries regardless how much time is given. Nevertheless, there are competitions on other forums such as CGtalk where you can use RF as a tool (there was a water ballon challenge for example).

Return to “Suggestions”