Convert bin mesh into editable poly/mesh

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Autodesk 3dsmax
HelloAllPeople

Convert bin mesh into editable poly/mesh

Postby HelloAllPeople » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:38 pm

What I want to do is delete some stray particles that were made into meshes during the mesh process realflow in 3ds Max, so I convert the imported bin mesh into an editable mesh and get rid of some stray mesh blobs by getting rid of the polygons on the frame that I don't want them.

But when I do this it disrupts everything since the same polygons are used throught the enter mesh sequence so on the frames before the mesh has missing polys in it. How can I just edit one meshes frame (or more) of polygons without disrupting the entire sequence?

I get an error when I try to use point cache, i'm guessing it's because the vert count is changing during the process.

ChristianZ

Re: Convert bin mesh into editable poly/mesh

Postby ChristianZ » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi

I don't use 3Dsmax, but if that works similar as in other connectivity plugins, then it is probably best to do mesh polygon editing only for stills. There might be options to deform or smooth the meshes in a sequence though.
Best would be to fight the stray particles within RF using the daemons like k_volume (the inverse option is also very useful for this), k_isolated, k_age, k_speed and so on.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

HelloAllPeople

Postby HelloAllPeople » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:56 pm

It seems like that. 3dsMax can't import an OBJ sequence and doesn't support .abc until 2016 (The other formats realflow supports exporting). The best thing I can do is do a poly edit in animation mode and move the poly for one frame, but the next fame I have to send it back using the last keyframe it was in the proper position. Very time consuming to say the least, although it is possible.

jumax

Postby jumax » Sun May 03, 2015 12:21 am

you can get alembic on 2015 with subscription I think. Have you tried a volume select with a delete mesh? That might work.

Oldcode

Postby Oldcode » Sun May 03, 2015 2:09 am

Hi,

I've had the need to delete some stray particles myself and there's a way to do it before the meshing process.

Use the Particle Selection tool to select, then remove the particles from each frame you want. Then, you need a small script to save the changes in the frame to the BIN file. If you don't save the changes, the next time you go back to that frame, particles you deleted will be back.

Create a script and call it something like Kill Particles. You only need one line in the script, like so...

"Emitter Name".export()

e.g.

circle01.export()

After you've removed all the particles you need to, then you do the meshing.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck,
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

Return to “Autodesk 3dsmax”