Will we get grid based fire and smoke?

General Discussions about realflow, fluid simulations,...
thomascheng

Will we get grid based fire and smoke?

Postby thomascheng » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:22 am

Hi, just getting the hang of realflow. It seems like hybrido grid solver and the mist emitter are perfect tools to start building a fire and smoke solution in realflow. Then realflow can be the perfect fx tool.

Is there any word that realflow is moving in this direction? Thanks.

ChristianZ

Re: Will we get grid based fire and smoke?

Postby ChristianZ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi

the concept of realflow makes this somewhat difficult, since particles can be exported to many 3D applications with ease for a long time and there are also dedicated render engines for this type of data (such as Krakatoa). However, for fire, you need specialized shaders and mechanisms (light emission) that are not so easy to exchange between different programs and render engines. The render kit would have to take care of that.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

thomascheng

Postby thomascheng » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:42 pm

Yes, but it is a huge advantage to take care of all your FX needs in 1 package, mainly because you can get everything to interact with each other. Houdini FX is already there and Thinking Particles 6 is suppose to add grid fluid support. Realflow is actually pretty close as an all in one FX package, they just need to use their grid system for gaseous effect. Secondary emitter can be used for ember or cracking spark effects. Baked Alpha textures would be used to describe burns. Basically, most of the system is in place.

I agree that for now, Render Kit or Maxwell would need to take care of it. It's not ideal, but it will work. They can already export out the effect using Field3D opensource file standard (if I understand it correctly). As an example, Modo is a 3D package that is completely missing some sort of grid based fire and smoke system. I'm hoping to stick with Modo and Realflow for everything, but if the client wants fire and smoke, I would need to get 3DS Max/Fumefx, Houdini Fx, Maya, C4D/TFD, or LW/TFD. Which makes everything more expensive for a freelancer like me.

thomascheng

Postby thomascheng » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:41 pm

Posted this years ago and wanted to revisit this issue. Would like to see a fluid grid based fire and smoke in Realflow to go with it's multi-physics solver. I believe it was an IO issue in the past, but now we have OpenVDB. So we can easily transfer gaseous volumes now.

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Welcome back :P

Sure, OpenVDB offers new possibilities. This is, for example, always used if you want to render smoke and fire coming from the popular X-particles plugin in Cinema4D with an external render engine such as Redshift or Octane. Similarly you can render with those render engines, if the VDB comes from another software such as Houdini.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

Return to “General Discussion”