Spam posts

General Discussions about realflow, fluid simulations,...
Otuama

Spam posts

Post by Otuama » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:43 am

I can't remember, when registering, do subscribers need to fill in those annoying 'captcha' things?

If not, maybe those should be brought in because the forum is getting more and more spam posts.
iCreate Ltd
'Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.' - Gandhi
'What Does Success Look Like?' - iCreate Ltd

bitSeq

Spam posts

Post by bitSeq » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:17 am

It must be some kind of bot right? I mean who would waste the time to register and post crap jokes?

lukeiamyourfather

Spam posts

Post by lukeiamyourfather » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:40 am

The spam is probably a bot. I don't think registration has any human tests like CAPTCHA. The developers of the forum software discontinued it about seven years ago so that's probably not a feature that can be added here. The RealFlow forum would need to be migrated to another software. I looked into this about a year ago and transferring the existing posts and users would be a tremendous project to undertake as there are no utilities to get data out of the forum software used currently. I don't know if there are enough users to sustain a transition, especially if it required registration again. Anyone have lots of time and experience with databases? :ninja:
WhenPicsFly | Debian GNU/Linux

ChristianZ

Spam posts

Post by ChristianZ » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:11 am

It would be really great if somebody had a solution to migrate the forum content to another software.

Just this morning I received a message from the admin of the Xfrog CG-plant software. They had an active group on Yahoo and just started a new forum. The old content is now present in form of an unstructured archive. Well, better than loosing everything.
http://xfrog.com/forum/
RF10.5 standard + RFC4D3, Mac&Windows

lukeiamyourfather

Spam posts

Post by lukeiamyourfather » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:33 pm

ChristianZ wrote: It would be really great if somebody had a solution to migrate the forum content to another software.

Just this morning I received a message from the admin of the Xfrog CG-plant software. They had an active group on Yahoo and just started a new forum. The old content is now present in form of an unstructured archive. Well, better than loosing everything.
http://xfrog.com/forum/
Something like that is probably a good idea in order to transition to modern forum software. The Arduino forum did something similar about a year ago, kept the old forum software but in a read-only mode. Note the read-only section at the bottom of the index.

http://arduino.cc/forum/
WhenPicsFly | Debian GNU/Linux

bitSeq

Spam posts

Post by bitSeq » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:26 pm

This is just an idea... How about if when you register in the birthday section you must enter a specific date in order to complete registration? I dont think anyone really uses that field, its a bit hacky and I dont know if its possible...?

Otuama

Spam posts

Post by Otuama » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Yes, but wouldn't a bot be able to see through this too?

Maybe if some kind of thing could be added where you enter your date of birth then in another field enter how old you are, or how old you'll be in 5 years.
iCreate Ltd
'Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.' - Gandhi

Otuama

Spam posts

Post by Otuama » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:07 pm

Ah, bitseq, I see what you mean.

On the registration page the user is told by some text to enter a pre determined day, month and year?

The DOB boxes would be programmed to only accept those entries.

That sounds good.
iCreate Ltd

Herbert

Spam posts

Post by Herbert » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi,

there is actually a "human test" during the registration.
We found recently a company http://gconverter.com/ that is actually capable of converting the current forum software. We can't really tell you so far when this is going to happen as you can imagine we want to make sure that we won't lose any data.

Otuama

Spam posts

Post by Otuama » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 pm

Ah.

There is an image and you type what it says. So, is it really people doing this?

I thought I had the most mundane life in existence. Obviously not.
iCreate Ltd

Return to “General Discussion”