Throwing a clump of fluid

General Discussions about realflow, fluid simulations,...
FloydBishop

Post by FloydBishop » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:47 am

OK, so I have a shot with very cartoony characters. One character throws mush on the other character. I was planning on making some proxy geo to take the place of the fluid, in order to animate with something and get my timing.

I want one character to throw, and the other character gets hit in the face, mugs for the camera, then shakes it off. I know how to get it to stick to the character, and how to make it shake off (animating sticky value).

My question is: How can I make one character look like he is holding the fluid, then throws that fluid which sticks to the second character.

My plan of attack is to model a lump for him to hold, which I will then fill with fluid. The frame before the blob hits the second character, I will turn off the blob container mesh, allowing the fluid to splat onto the second character.

Does this sound like a good plan of attack?

tmdag

Post by tmdag » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:05 am

You need fluid only, when it hit's character face so one frame before it could be anything.. modelled ball or whatever.
"Do not feed the trolls"
Albert 'tmdag' Szostkiewicz
FX Technical Director
Weta Digital

FloydBishop

Post by FloydBishop » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:29 pm

So you're suggesting to have the fluid only be a simulation at the point of impact and beyond? I hadn't thought about that, but it makes perfect sense.

Ls3D

Post by Ls3D » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi Floyd, long time no see.

Do the attractor thing if you want dynamics throughout. I'm sure you've seen the mad scientist 'controlling' water.

I look forward to seeing the spot however you cut it.

-Shea

FloydBishop

Post by FloydBishop » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:20 pm

I haven't seen the mad scientist thing. I'll look on youTube.

Ls3D

Post by Ls3D » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:02 am

It was an older NL video. I could not find a tube link for you in 2 minutes.. may be included in the demo vid... basically he makes the water rise and float at will.

Suffice it to say the attractor can be used to wrangle particles pretty well, especially compared to some other daemons & techniques. The secondary motion is probably worth the effort as opposed to get keying and flexing a mesh object. Low and zero gravity are often involved.

I'm sure you'll work it out.

-Shea

FloydBishop

Post by FloydBishop » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:55 am

Cool. I'll be sure to post some results as soon as the project is released to the public.

FloydBishop

Post by FloydBishop » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:59 pm

So the problem I'm having now is that the initial splat is so powerful, it bounces right off the character.

I've increased the stickiness and friction on the character surface. I want the fluid to hit the character, then run down his surface.

What should I be doing differently?

ValHallen

Post by ValHallen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:05 pm

FloydBishop wrote: So the problem I'm having now is that the initial splat is so powerful, it bounces right off the character.

I've increased the stickiness and friction on the character surface. I want the fluid to hit the character, then run down his surface.

What should I be doing differently?
Bounce down to 0 on the surface?
What is the fluid? Water? Or something thicker? Viscosity can help.
Just basing this off the slime we did here but. Get your sticky up to 1000 and your fluid's viscosity around 45.

Hope this helps?

FloydBishop

Post by FloydBishop » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:28 am

Yes, the fluid is a soupy cake icing. I cranked up the sticky value and bounce down to 0. It worked like a charm. I'll be sure to post a link to the results as soon as the project goes public (probably a week or two from now).

Return to “General Discussion”