The river rhone

General Discussions about realflow, fluid simulations,...
Spiralstaircase

The river rhone

Postby Spiralstaircase » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi all

I'm new to RF

How would it be best to set up a sim for the surface of a large river like the Rhone (as seen in Lyon) - it's a wide deep river with not much large turbulence but a constant flow with lots of small ripples?

In some areas of the water there are circular vortexes which the main current moves around.

Is this something for realwave surface?

Thanks

P

ChristianZ

Re: The river rhone

Postby ChristianZ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:26 am

Hi

I would suggest to split this project and use different mechanisms for different shots. If you have a wide shot where you see the river from the air, zooming on the surface, I would use realwave which is by far the fastest method to simulate. You can use a standard realwave surface or custom-shaped object.
Then, for close-up shots, if there are rocks inside the water or rapids with turbulence and foam, use the hybrido system. We had a couple of examples here on the forum already where people simulated tsunamis, waterfalls and such things. The "ocean force" daemon creates waves or you let the particles follow gravity.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

Spiralstaircase

Postby Spiralstaircase » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:48 pm

ChristianZ wrote:Hi

I would suggest to split this project and use different mechanisms for different shots. If you have a wide shot where you see the river from the air, zooming on the surface, I would use realwave which is by far the fastest method to simulate. You can use a standard realwave surface or custom-shaped object.
Then, for close-up shots, if there are rocks inside the water or rapids with turbulence and foam, use the hybrido system. We had a couple of examples here on the forum already where people simulated tsunamis, waterfalls and such things. The "ocean force" daemon creates waves or you let the particles follow gravity.

Many thanks this is really helpful. Can I ask, for real wave what daemon(s) should I look at for main water current and specific turbulence?

Also would you also use realwave for a swimming pool wide shot? Am I write in assuming that realwave alone cannot collide with objects (with particle splashes)??

Many thanks for your help

Forester

Postby Forester » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:28 pm

I can help with the first question about "main water current and specific turbulence.

You would not use a deamon for this. Instead, you create some kind of suitable spline or a shaped solid object and drag it across the Realwave surface during the simulation. (That is, you animate the spline or solid object over time - moving it in the direction you want.) This technique requires a little bit of experimentation with speed, spline or object shape, depth and a bunch of those kind of factors. But you can create and control an exact outcome this way.

I've got examples for some products using this technique on my commercial website. These are for a more subtle effect than what you are attempting to accomplish, but the technique is the same. There are some videos for this product, and the others like it in the Store, so that you can see the result of this technique. Go here - http://www.expandingwave.com/product/reflecting-pool-breeze-12x12-scene/

Unfortunately, while I could tutor you, per your other request on this Forum, I'm tied up for the next week with house guests. But if you don't mind a small purchase, these products come with full documentation on these pools scenes. You could purchase and look at the documention and scene, so that you could see how to do this part of things yourself. Not trying to sell you anything, really, but this could be cheaper than a tutor, at least for this particular project need of yours.

Respectfully, Forester

Forester

Postby Forester » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:32 pm

And for the second question, Yes, I would use Realwave for a pool-wide scene.

No, Realwave is quite capable of generating colliding particles with objects.If you look in the documentation for Realwave, you'll see that you can cause the surface of Realwave to emit particles. These particles can be used to collide with things and to create splashes. All very standard stuff for Realwave.

Spiralstaircase

Postby Spiralstaircase » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Forester wrote:I can help with the first question about "main water current and specific turbulence.

You would not use a deamon for this. Instead, you create some kind of suitable spline or a shaped solid object and drag it across the Realwave surface during the simulation. (That is, you animate the spline or solid object over time - moving it in the direction you want.) This technique requires a little bit of experimentation with speed, spline or object shape, depth and a bunch of those kind of factors. But you can create and control an exact outcome this way.

I've got examples for some products using this technique on my commercial website. These are for a more subtle effect than what you are attempting to accomplish, but the technique is the same. There are some videos for this product, and the others like it in the Store, so that you can see the result of this technique. Go here - http://www.expandingwave.com/product/reflecting-pool-breeze-12x12-scene/

Unfortunately, while I could tutor you, per your other request on this Forum, I'm tied up for the next week with house guests. But if you don't mind a small purchase, these products come with full documentation on these pools scenes. You could purchase and look at the documention and scene, so that you could see how to do this part of things yourself. Not trying to sell you anything, really, but this could be cheaper than a tutor, at least for this particular project need of yours.

Respectfully, Forester

Many thanks forester

The videos look great. Although I need to have a look at how those water movements compare to the current in the fiver. These look quite like the effect of an object moving through the water rather than a constant current. ill be back in the studio properly from 2nd August and Looking for mentor support from then. Maybe this would be a good time to talk to you?

Many thanks

P

Forester

Postby Forester » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:08 pm

Sure, you could send me an email via my website when you've returned.

To simulate a current, you would use the same technique. So that you know, Realwave by itself, has the capacity to seem to "flow" in one direction, often looking like a current for the entire sheet. But, to really get great control over the appearence, you still want to animate some drag object (that is invisible), and for eddies and whorls within the water in placement of your choice, you still need some kind of local object under animation.

You know, you really don't need a tutor for this. You just need to implement these techniques and experiment a bit.

Forester

Postby Forester » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Hello Spiralstaircase.

I'm preparing a couple of tutorials for you as project files. Unfortunately, I'm going to be busy with other work during the week you return. I thought a couple of project files with some simple instructions might be enough to get you started. It appears that the documentation for RealWave in RF10 might be a bit incomplete. I'll post these project files as soon as I can. Will provide a link to them in this message board once they are posted.

Spiralstaircase

Postby Spiralstaircase » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Forester wrote:Hello Spiralstaircase.

I'm preparing a couple of tutorials for you as project files. Unfortunately, I'm going to be busy with other work during the week you return. I thought a couple of project files with some simple instructions might be enough to get you started. It appears that the documentation for RealWave in RF10 might be a bit incomplete. I'll post these project files as soon as I can. Will provide a link to them in this message board once they are posted.

many thanks forester - I really appreciate your help

Forester

Postby Forester » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:19 pm

Ok, there is a lengthy tutorial document for what seems best organized as a set of progressive tutorials. The first four scenes are ready for posting, but normal family affairs are preventing me from packaging and uploading these for at least another few days.

I've posted the first part (12 pages) of the document. http://www.expandingwave.com/realflow-tutorial-rhone-river-near-lyons/

I would very much appreciate comments from all Realflow'ers on this document.

(And later on the entire document and tutorial scenes as well.) This is a pretty modest effort, but ends up being a little complex because of the nature of the project.

Return to “General Discussion”