Build new PC

General Discussions about realflow, fluid simulations,...
Divyansh

Build new PC

Postby Divyansh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:49 am

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a good processor for my new PC..I can afford Intel Xeon processor...so I have to stick with i7 or Amd Ryzen 7..

Intel i7-6800k
Intel i7-7700k
Rayzen 1700x

I searched on net and find that Intel i7-7700k is not good in performance compare to i7-6800k and new Rayzen 1700x

I already have AMD FX 8350 machine..with limited config..
AMD FX 8350
GTX 560TI
CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16GB
M5A97 R2.0
Antec gx505
Corsair TX750 watt

This config is not giving any performance...AMD known for heating issue..random shutdown bcz of this..So I don't know trust to Rayzen or not..My new config which I am trying to build now is

Processor & Motherboard : Need suggestions
Ram : 32gb corsair vengeance PRO
Graphic card : gtx 1070
Power supply : corsair TX750
Cooling : Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
Cabinet : antec gx505
SSD : Samsung evo pro 250gb

Forester

Re: Build new PC

Postby Forester » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:06 pm

The Intel i7-6800k is a good cpu. For this cpu, you will need an X99 type of motherboard. In my experience (I build many systems for realflow and autodesk products), an MSI motherboard is a very stable, good quality board. You could try one of three inexpensive models: the MSI Tomahawk (about $250.00 USD), the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (about $310.00 USD), or the MSI X99A Gaming 7 (about $230.00 USD, but an older style board).

If you have sufficient funds and a large computer case, the MSI X99 Godlike Gaming, at $490.00 USD is the very best board for the money, for this cpu. This board is an "extended atx" type, which means that it is larger - 12-inches by 10.7 inches. But it is a super-fine board - stable and will last a long time under heavy (professional) use.

You plan to purchase a GTX 1070 video card. This video card typically consumes 500 watts of power by itself. I believe that you need a power supply with more power than the Corsair TX750 provides. My humble opinion is that you need an 850 watt power supply as a minimum.

In general, if you are building a system for simulation use (for any particle simulation program, or for any professional grade rendering purposes), you should try to have much more power (and a power supply with two power rails) than the system seems to require. This is because, your CPU and your RAM will be working at maximum capacity over a long period of time. (This is true for machines used for professional rendering, as well.) A large power supply provides protection for your entire system - it is the best insurance against brown-outs, erratic spikes and burnouts. A large power supply will ensure that your computer system lasts a long time.

Personally, I always build computer systems for Realflow or 3d model-building using a RAID system for the SSD or HDD. This means that you might want to consider having two SSD, and putting them into a RAID Stripe 1 configuration where one drive mirrors the other every 15 seconds. In this way, if one drive fails, the other continues in normal fashion. If one drive fails, you can easily remove it, and replace it without losing your programs and data. A Samsung EVO 512 GB system would be better than the small 250 GB, in my opinion.

For my own Realflow machine, I have two Samsung EVO pro 512 SSD as the RAID Stripe 1 "C:drive" and then a third dedicated Samsung SSD pro 512 for Realflow data files. That is, all the project data is written to the second drive and is never written to the drive where my programs reside. This is super fast for Realflow. If you don't want to consider a RAID drive configuration, you might want to consider getting a second SSD and dedicate it to your Realflow project files, keeping those separate from your operating system and possible other programs.

Return to “General Discussion”