Textured OBJ import into Realflow

General Discussions about realflow, fluid simulations,...
Genora51

Textured OBJ import into Realflow

Postby Genora51 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:07 pm

I need to import an obj file into realflow. Normally this would be easy, but the file is linked to an mtl file which contains all necessary textures for the file. Because I do not have maxwell render (only a trial) I have to render directly from the realflow renderkit. However, realflow (as far as I know) only supports one texture per imported obj:
Assuming I have access to 3ds max, realflow, maya, sketchup, and the maxwell material editor (MXED), is there any way that I can import the file (allowing for conversion, splitting into multiple files, etc.) for use with the realflow renderkit, whilst retaining (or even updating) the original textures?

Forester

Re: Textured OBJ import into Realflow

Postby Forester » Wed May 11, 2016 11:30 pm

Yes. This is a common problem. You need to break down your *.obj object(s) into individual pieces according to the distinct material each takes. In your native 3D application, make sure that the pivot point is centered for each of these individual pieces before exporting to your RF project. You will need to export each individual piece, and in RF, you will need to import each individual piece until the whole thing is assembled. Then you will need to assign materials to each piece, one at a time. It is tedious, but the only way to overcome the one texture file per object limitation for RF.

(Alternatively, if your *.obj object is not too complex, you might want to go to the work of creating a single UV Map/texture file that contains all the diffuse color parts of your object. This is an OK solution for things like human figures where the component pieces differ only in color. This is not a good solution when your components have different degrees of shinyness or transparency or whatever. In this latter case, you will need to break down your object into separate parts as described above.)

mcmigovych

Re: Textured OBJ import into Realflow

Postby mcmigovych » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:22 am

This whole process screams for a “Realwave” custom object or as a modifier for 3dsMax; using OBJ sequences can get the job done, but it’s not the smoothest workflow to go through

Return to “General Discussion”