What do YOU do with all your sim files?!

General Discussions about realflow, fluid simulations,...
squareeyes

What do YOU do with all your sim files?!

Postby squareeyes » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:56 am

Hi everyone.

It's been a while now that I've been playing around with realflow and I've really been enjoying it. I dont work for a company and dont know many people who use this sort of software so I have no idea what you do with all the files that get created? And they mount up massively and quickly!

So I thought I'd ask here to see what you realflow users do with the accumulation of projects and bin/gfc/rpc/prt/etc files.

Do you keep them even after you've completed your project and everything is rendered and finished?

Do you keep project files, but delete the sim files?

Do you compress them and store them on an external HD?

I am very interested to hear what you've all got to say and learn about methods used!

Thanks

Oldcode

Re: What do YOU do with all your sim files?!

Postby Oldcode » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:42 pm

I keep my files for a while after my project is finished, but then delete them and keep the scene file.

As long as I have the scene file, I'll keep the Initial State file or the first file in the simulation so I can re-simulate if needed.

I also bought a 4TB hard drive for real flow storage.
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

squareeyes

Re: What do YOU do with all your sim files?!

Postby squareeyes » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:23 am

Oldcode wrote:I keep my files for a while after my project is finished, but then delete them and keep the scene file.

As long as I have the scene file, I'll keep the Initial State file or the first file in the simulation so I can re-simulate if needed.

I also bought a 4TB hard drive for real flow storage.

Thanks for the insight yet again old code. It did occur to me that saving all those sim files would be a crazy thing to do, but when you've got no ones shoulder to look over you just dont know.

Ok, time to start slimming my machine down a bit then and put those xternal HD to use!

Return to “General Discussion”