website rf-magazine

Discussions about the RF-magazine created by tsn
tsn

website rf-magazine

Postby tsn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:37 am

Hi,

thanks for all your mails. Unfortunately I have to say that there won't be any new issues in the near future, because of piracy and uninhibited filesharing. The ratio between sold and stolen issues is around 1 : 100, so in this case the majority spoiled it for a very small, but honest minority. And I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has bought the magazine so far.

Of course I knew that piracy would happen one day, but I didn't expect such an extend. Once the scripting and rbd issues were available illegally, sales figures dropped to nearly Zero immediatly. A great disappointment was to see some forum members stealing the mags. That's the reason why I'm not active anymore, helping others with their problems or sharing scripts.

I really thought that RF_magazine had a future and and I already had plans: I hired a programmer, for example, to develop a stand-alone smoke and fire solver with export to RF. After 10 days I had to stop everything, because I ran out of money. Another plan was to release Python scripts for smoke, fire, explosions, melting, dust, tornadoes, and other natural phenomena, but I had to burry all this, just because of piracy.

Well, that's the story so far and I'm still hoping to lead it to a happy end, but I don't see very much possbilities at the moment. Currently there's simply no reliable way to save pdfs or other digital contents. I was able to crack most of the so-called "copy protection methods" within seconds, though I'm far away of being a hacker.

Best,
Thomas

tmdag

website rf-magazine

Postby tmdag » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:44 am

Hi tsn!

what about watermarks with personal name and address on all pages ? (like in 3dbuzz videos)

I think that there is no way to crack it (it's just stored in original video)
"Do not feed the trolls"
Albert 'tmdag' Szostkiewicz
FX Technical Director
Weta Digital

Solo

website rf-magazine

Postby Solo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:27 pm

tmdag wrote: Hi tsn!

what about watermarks with personal name and address on all pages ? (like in 3dbuzz videos)

I think that there is no way to crack it (it's just stored in original video)

People will pirate that anyway. Watermarks won't cut it. :(

And me personally -- I preferred the writing than the videos.

So sorry to hear TSN. :(

tsn

website rf-magazine

Postby tsn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:49 pm

I'm afraid, Solo is right. I've already tried and tested so many solutions, but couldn't find a secure method so far. Others appear relatively save, but have so many restrictions that it's actually not possible to work with the tuts. I guess the only watermark that would really help is the CC number together with the security code, but I'm not allowed to catch and store CC numbers...

Anyway, thanks a lot for all your ideas and suggestions!

Fabian

website rf-magazine

Postby Fabian » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi,

many professional magazines are using: http://www.zinio.com/

Take a look the references, i think this one _is_ safe.

Hope to see the rf-magazine there soon .. :-)

Fabian

f00d4tehg0dz

website rf-magazine

Postby f00d4tehg0dz » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:53 pm

sorry, i've never read your magazine or anything,nor do i know if you ever did this. But a few magazines I've gotten online, each time you get a new one, it generates a key for you to use by email. And you enter it into the magazines pdf to gain access to it. And to my knowledge each key is specifically generated to your account. Much Like cheathappens.com does with their new trainers for only member access. When you download the game trainer, it generates it for your computer. If you try to give it to anyone else it it won't work. And voids your membership. I know it can be done through winrar, to pdf form.

Has that ever been tried? Woudl def limit the number of piraters for quite sometime.

mafx

website rf-magazine

Postby mafx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:34 am

aargghh what a pain, is there still a way to get the Python one???? I am pulling my eyeballs out trying to get Python down. Can I go to the site now and get it?

Just before I go through the process and then find nothing in my email.

Let me know as I will jump on now and grab it if I can?

Thanks

S.
Steven Lees-Smith
www.meshandfx.com.au

Photo retouch and manipulation / Visual Effects

mafx

website rf-magazine

Postby mafx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:58 am

never mind.

The wife just put an order through and apparently it is downloading as I type.

Some reading when I get home.

AWESOME :D
Steven Lees-Smith
www.meshandfx.com.au

Photo retouch and manipulation / Visual Effects

Far Star

website rf-magazine

Postby Far Star » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:15 pm

I am sorry to hear of your piracy issue. Being a producer of media content I feel your pain. I am wanting to purchase you magazine. Is it still available for purchase?

aidenvfx

website rf-magazine

Postby aidenvfx » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Are you looking at making these magazines available for the Mac? I noticed they are for the Windows OS only I m guess that has to do with the limitations of the copy protection you are using.

Return to “RF-magazine”