theJAWSeffect : Official NEXT LIMIT Sponsered project

users may introduce themselves and post OT here
martinjknight

Post by martinjknight » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Hey there, my name is Martin J Knight, lead animator of theJAWSeffect team. A collaborative project on CGTalk.

CG Talk thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread. ... 2&t=753072

I am currently an unemployed artist with a BA Hons in Animation, so working on this project has been fantastic.

From the beginning of our project we knew the day would come that we needed to use and learn a water dynamics program for out shark project. So we threw together a portfolio to be sent over to Spain, to Victor Gonzalez of Next Limit, and we got an e-mail back pretty quickly.

They loved the project and are now sponsoring us. =]

Here are a few images of what we sent.

We have also been working on a huge cow carcass, meshed, sculpted and textured by Herman S. Myself and Dazz did a bit of research and went down to a massive meat market, with a walk in freezer.

We are at the middle stage of rigging our assets and in roughly 6 weeks time, we would be ready to set some scenes and FX together in Realflow, and our main package, Maya. We have some other of our team that will help with Realflow once the assets and rigging are finished.

Dazz, Jan, Herman and Ray.

Since lacking experience with Realflow, I will need to learn the software pretty quickly, so it will have to be Tutorials and any other media I can find.

We don't mind at all to have any real flow users come on board & help or advise the team .But perhaps looking at my learning process, you may get to know me as I try to learn. We have been told by those nice people at Next Limit that we can post on the official forum as well as here ... But it’s pretty empty... Would it be worth it?... I guess we would get the makers of Realflow itself helping with any questions.

We are a collaboration project and a pretty tight little group & we take our time as it’s the nature of the beast, it’s all in our own time, but we all want this to happen. We have a group Facebook page called Quints Song: the JAWS effect, and we have only a small number of fans on it as we have not been going long, but we have a lots of well know Jaws fans on it including Carl Gottlieb co writer of JAWS, we have a cool vibe going with the project & need to get our VFX test animation out of the way to get to the short film Quint’s Song. It’s a lot of work. But I hope to get to know a few people in the forum and have some fun along the way!

Regards,

Martin J Knight

tmdag

Post by tmdag » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Welcome to forums!

You have very interesting and quite hard project :)

Keep posting Your progress and good luck!
"Do not feed the trolls"
Albert 'tmdag' Szostkiewicz
FX Technical Director
Weta Digital

CeeGee

Post by CeeGee » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:03 am

Very interesting project, and very nice rnd project to do...

You will need alot of layer of simulation, to get all nice details, ocean surface, splash, spray, foam, water in shark mouth...

http://www.magicpics.com/aquarius/aquarius_gallery.html

this is some videos beside scanline that they did shark jump from water...

nice storyboard on cgtalk...

and if you need help this is good palce to aks...

Good luck guys.

TylerAfx

Post by TylerAfx » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:17 am

so you want to use maxwell render and realflow in conjunction on this ?

this is gonna be fun then ;)

let me know if theres a need for rf work !

cheers

Tyler

martinjknight

Post by martinjknight » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:55 am

Hi Guys ,

Thank you so much for your kind replies :)

About Maxwell 2 . When we asked for Real Flow 5 ,we were not expecting Maxwell 2 as well ,it was a interesting surprise inclusion .We planned on using Mental Ray as our lighting guy Jan knows it very well .
He is playing with Maxwell 2 now ,to see if we can integrate it into our pipeline ,even if its just rendering the water or even hi rez stills,we wont rule anything out .

The collaboration rules on cgtalk are that projects must be non commercial ,for artists reels & cv's only . So the licenses we have are floating non commercial !

The Holiday Roast vfx test will be a half breach attack on the meat in full close up !

What's getting the JAWS fans interested is that the short is set inside the time line of the original film.Which means that the setting is at night .

Also helping us on the technical sides of getting the shark looking and moving correctly are Chris & Monique Fallows of the Discovery channels Air JAWS 123 fame.

This is gonna be a very long trip :)

Im gonna need a bigger pc !

Yes, The other guys & myself think you guys are so right about how hard this is going to be :)

Speak soon

Martin

BrianLooney

Post by BrianLooney » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:39 pm

I think this looks very cool (and ambitious)! Good luck, and if you need any help with using RF and Maxwell2 together, just send me a message, I'll be glad to help.
Brian Looney
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Vitor Teixeira

Post by Vitor Teixeira » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Congratulations and good luck.
Cheers

bubs

Post by bubs » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:37 pm

I don't understand the mean of this post???????????????????????????
cheers

martinjknight

Post by martinjknight » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:07 pm

Thank you for your very supportive comments :)

I will crack on and start the learning process on real flow 5.See how I go :)

Bubbaloo , I will sure take up your offer I'm sure,thanks.

Martin

shaun_michael

Post by shaun_michael » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Bubbaloo wrote: if you need any help with using RF and Maxwell2 together, just send me a message, I'll be glad to help.
Actually Brian, it would be good for all if that sort of information were posted on the forum, and by all means link a thread in the Maxwell forum also.

Shaun

Return to “Introductions and OT”