Displacement problem Maya 2012 realflow 2012

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Autodesk Maya
principle

Displacement problem Maya 2012 realflow 2012

Postby principle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Something strange is going on if i take the displacement maps i generate in realflow using hybrido and apply them to a standard poly plane everything works just fine. I've done this with vector displacement, normal displacement, and the realflow renderkit displacement node all of them work fine as i would expect them to.

However when i import the grid mesh using the maya plugin "import bin mesh" I can not apply the displacement to it. It simply does not work? I use the same material on a standard poly plane this works fine but it will not work on the imported bin mesh seems very odd.

I've tried adding a mr displacement approximation node with no joy so my question is what am i doing wrong why will my shader displace a standard poly plane but not the imported bin mesh

Thanks for any help pulling my hair out over this one
Cheers

principle

Re: Displacement problem Maya 2012 realflow 2012

Postby principle » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:44 pm

btw it works if i apply the displacement maps from realflow in the bump channel of the shader, I've also tried this with standard maya materials and mental ray materials

principle

Re: Displacement problem Maya 2012 realflow 2012

Postby principle » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:44 am

for anyone else that has the same problem as me i worked it out.

My geometry scale in realflow was .1 it seems like i had to apply the displacement texture with repeated uv's 10 in u and -10 in v it then worked just fine.

Just in case it's useful to anyone else

Return to “Autodesk Maya”