How do you use wetdry maps in Maya / Maxwell?

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Autodesk Maya
Bobross

How do you use wetdry maps in Maya / Maxwell?

Postby Bobross » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:24 pm

I can't figure out how to use my wetdry maps in a Maxwell material. I'm using the Maya plugin and can't figure this out. Tried two layers and using a wetdry mask does not work. Multiple BSDF layer with wight wetdry does not work either.

EDIT: So looks like there is just a bug with PNG and Maxwell. Although, I've now tried TGA and TIF and it's still does not seem to be working properly.

Bobross

Re: How do you use wetdry maps in Maya / Maxwell?

Postby Bobross » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:29 am

So there is a bug in the Maya Maxwell plugin. I can create a working Alpha material in Maxwell Studio just fine, but the second it's imported into Maya the material is broken. Alpha breaks. Bummer.

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:13 am

Hi
I have not tried this recently myself but thanks for reporting. Does it happen with the latest plugin version? There was a new version last week.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

Bobross

Postby Bobross » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:22 am

Ok, so I think I figured this out. The only way Alpha masks work in Maya on Maxwell shaders is if you save the file sequence as:

name000.tif

Not:
name_000.tif
name 000.tif
00000.tif

This was driving me crazy. There is some bug in the Maya expression when you check "use image sequence" that it will only load the first frame. It will also not load the image when Tiling mode is set to off unless you name the files correctly.

So I'm not sure that was an actual PNG or TGA issue.

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:14 am

Good to know, thanks!

Maybe the folks at the official Maxwellrender forum know more? Maxwell still is rarely used for animations because of comparably slow render time.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

Bobross

Postby Bobross » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:42 pm

I would love to report the bug at official Maxwell forum but I only have a demo license so I'm locked out. I really hate how Nextlimit locks out everyone from their forums. There were so many bugs I could report or situations I could help out in, but no.

Return to “Autodesk Maya”