Tutorial for tiling displacement map in Maya?

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Autodesk Maya
photoreel

Tutorial for tiling displacement map in Maya?

Postby photoreel » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:58 pm

Are there any tutorials that show the entire process of creating a displacement map in Hybrido (or Realwave) and then bringing that displacement map into Maya and applying it to a plane and then duplicating that plane in Maya to create a huge ocean? I've seen a lot of tutorials that show how to create the displacement map in Realflow, but I've never seen a tutorial showing how to setup the displacement map in Maya and also how to duplicate the plane in Maya in a manner that creates a huge ocean?

ChristianZ

Re: Tutorial for tiling displacement map in Maya?

Postby ChristianZ » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:49 pm

Hi

it is hard to find a tutorial that is so specific regarding the final shot and including the entire pipeline of several 3D programs.
So, I am not aware of exactly this tutorial, but I would like to hear about one, if it exists :geek: What comes remotely close are those longer video tutorials from DigitalTutors
http://www.digitaltutors.com/lesson/107 ... -into-Maya
or cmiVFX
https://cmivfx.com/store/406-realflow-- ... -volume-01
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

photoreel

Re: Tutorial for tiling displacement map in Maya?

Postby photoreel » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Hey ChristianZ, Thanks for the links! It seems that I'm able to tile displacement maps successfully in Maya using displacement maps generated from Hybrido. I simply applied the displacement map to a plane in maya using RFRK and duplicated the plane and lined it up with the original plane. The tiling seems to be working just fine so far. In the past I had trouble tiling displacement maps from RealWave, but it seems that the Hybrido displacement maps tile just fine in Maya.

Return to “Autodesk Maya”