Problems rendering splashes and mist

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Autodesk Maya
MikeT

Problems rendering splashes and mist

Post by MikeT » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:01 am

Hi,
I'm trying to render splashes and mist in Maya and having some problems. Using the "Hybrido_secondaries" demo, I can create/export splash (.rpc) and mist (.vdb) files. In Maya/RFRK, I "create a particler object" using a .rpc file. In the Maya viewport, I can see the bounding box and particles but when I render (Fire and Maxwell) using all default values, I only get a gray bounding box. I've tried various settings but can't get the splash particles to render.

After closing and restarting Maya, I do the same thing (start with all default values) for "create a cloud object" (.vbc) and only see the bounding box and never particles in the viewport. When I render (fire and Maxwell) I get a red bounding box and no particles.

Is there anything else I need to import to Maya or am I missing some basic settings? Using only default values in the Realflow demo and Maya, would I see some particles and/or mist when I render?

Using - realflow_v2014_1_1_0179_x86_64.exe, realflow_maya_win_2014.0.1.exe, rfrk-maya-win-2014.0.0.15.exe and Maxwell/Maya plugin 3.0.14

Thanks,
Mike

ChristianZ

Re: Problems rendering splashes and mist

Post by ChristianZ » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:26 pm

Hi

not directly related to your problem with Maxwell, but have you been able to render these elements previously with the MR-renderkit? Also check, if the license manager works ok on your system.
RF10.5 standard + RFC4D3, Mac&Windows

MikeT

Post by MikeT » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:16 am

I'm able to render other stuff with Maxwell so I think the license manager is is working. Using MR, I can get a mist/cloud to render so I think the info is coming into Maya ok. I've played around with various settings but just get the red bounding box... not sure what to do at this point but will try some more parameter setting adjustments, look at scaling settings, forum surfing etc..

Any suggestions welcomed!

Mike

fkfx

Post by fkfx » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:34 pm

AFAIK, Maxwell cannot render volumetric data, so it won't be possible to render RFRK clouds using Maxwell. However, it is possible that in the meantime there has been a Maxwell update enabling Maxwell to render volumes, but Maxwell 2.X couldn't.

MikeT

Post by MikeT » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:49 am

Yep - I think you're right. I've spent a lot of time reading the documentation and read something (not sure where) that made me think Maxwell could render the cloud/mist. Per the Maxwell forums, they plan to support .vdb files in the future... I hope soon!
Mike

Return to “Autodesk Maya”